Any Idea How This Is Done? Help Please!

Decorating By Lenette Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 1:02pm by tiptop57

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 23

I am going to attempt to attach a picture. I need to know how to get this look, I just love it! TIA for any help you can offer!
LL
LL
LL

22 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 23

Wow that is very pretty who is the decorator?

Lenette Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 23

I think it is Ron Ben Israel. I found it on a wedding site some time ago and just love it! Unfortunately, I have had no luck coming up with how to do this technique. It is so pretty!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 23

Not sure here...but, I think that it's done with a sheet of fluorescent light cover. icon_cool.gif Believe it or not... Then the embroderie is put on top...

Lenette Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 23

Fluorescent light cover.... THAT IS FREAKING BRILLIANT!!!!!

Sheesh I never would have thought of that! Great idea, thanks!!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tiptop57 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 23

Yes, I did the light cover thing on my Pentax Camera Cake. It is a lovely mold. But this cake has silver between the knobs.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 23

to get the silver between the knobs, couldn't you thin out the silver and go over the entire piece and then gently wipe of excess, just like you would for painting distressed furniture? the "paint" would stay in the cracks.

just a thought....

tiptop57 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 23

Hmmm seems to clean for that process and wouldn't the pearls be more shiney then?

Lenette Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 23

What about a really small tip to pipe between the indentations? Would that work? Or really small pearls?

I don't know, just thinking out loud....

At least I have an idea about the embossing now. Hopefully, if we put our heads together we'll come up with the rest.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 23

Warning: I have no idea what I'm talking about. But...

How about drawing a grid pattern and tracing it with silver colored melted candy melts then piping balls in the squares after it sets. It would take FOREVER! And you would have to do it in pieces so I don't know what you would do with the corners.

Okay, I'm leaving now and giving this back to people who actually do know how to decorate...... icon_redface.gif

tiptop57 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 23

Yes Lenette, that is what I'm thinking that it is probably piped inbetween for cleanliness but I could be off-base.

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 23

Ok... what is fluorescent light cover?

tiptop57 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 23

Many office buildings have four fluorescent lights in a recessed lightbox covred with a white sheet of plastic to cover the harsh lights. That is the thingy we are talking about. Got mine at the hardware store. It's pretty big.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:28pm
post #14 of 23

paint the edge of the florescent cover with the silver BEFORE pressing it into the fondant..

press in while still wet

might that work?

(technique borrowed from art and theatre)

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 23

I saw this cake the other day and I was dying to figure it out too! He's amazing!

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #16 of 23

Oh my... how stupid do I feel now.... the thought of an actual fluorescent light cover never even entered my mind when I read that. Here I was thinking it was some new gadget or something.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #17 of 23

It's still a novel idea...not something you would immediately think of for decorating any cake!

This is a totally beautiful cake, absolutely breathtaking! The bow alone so lush and lifelike.

I will watch to see if anyone has any conclusive info on how the decoration was done....I'm really curious now!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:39pm
post #18 of 23

You guys are geniuses. I would have never in a million years thought of that!

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #19 of 23

It looks like the silver color matches the bow and the flowers. He would have had to have used the same luster dust and the only way I could figure he could get that result would be to individually paint in-between each one. It seems tedious, but cakes are nothing short of that.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

paint the edge of the florescent cover with the silver BEFORE pressing it into the fondant..

press in while still wet

might that work?

(technique borrowed from art and theatre)

What a great idea Doug! icon_smile.gif That just might work. icon_smile.gif

Lenette Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #21 of 23

Thank you, thank you , thank you for all of your replies! I will try the techniques suggested and see what works best.

icon_biggrin.gif

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #22 of 23

Brillint.. florecent light cover... i would have never thought... has anyone ever thought of asking him how to do it... i have often asked other designers and most of them are pretty cool with sharing...

tiptop57 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:02pm
post #23 of 23

Hmm Doug, I thought of that too but I still think it would be too messy in final outcome which would be hard to clean up as pretty as this cake. I thought of reverse imprint also for the background but would be problematic also.

I really, really think because of the clean look that he went in there and individually handpainted it with a tiny watercolor brush and because of that I don't think you could do this on a regular cake, you would need to go with the English Fruit cake or a brandy soaked pound cake for the time factor needed, (I betting this picture is a dummy cake for that same reason and that it is a show piece also.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%