Pricing Charts

Decorating By melsie43 Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 3:44am by CarolAnn

melsie43 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know of a pricing chart for making cakes as a hobby not a business. I don't want to over charge because there is alot of people that can't afford a nice cake but would like to have one. I'm not a professional
at making them but still do a good job and don't want to undercut myself.
I live in Arkansas.
Thanks

10 replies
KHalstead Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 11

you just have to make your own! I made mine on Microsoft office excel or something

I can email you mine if you'd like to see how it's set up?
I just called around and figured out what everyone else was charging to base my prices...turns out now I'm more expensive than them but hey I'm busy enough, so I don't see a need to lower my prices just yet. When I first started (about a yr. ago) I priced everything similarly to the other "bakeries" (not wal-mart) then after making them for a while certain things took more time so I charge more for them and so on. I also have things I offer that the other "bakers" don't do...like 3-d/carved cakes and topsy turvy cakes so I set my own price for that. You'll get a feeling by YOUR area on what you can and can't charge and then once you figure out what the NORMAL charge is, figure out if it's profitable for you and if you can live with the profit. I charge more than other bakers for my sheet cakes (almost double what they charge) but I won't do them for a 4 or 5 dollar profit.......I still only make about 15-20 dollars on each one, but I can live with that!

susanscakecreations Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 11

Hi KHalstead!
I'm new at this thing too, so could you email me your chart????
I am in the process of making a cake for a retirement party for a friend, and he wants to pay me for the cake, and I am at a loss as to what to charge him!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Susan

mrstephanie Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 12:48am
post #4 of 11

Could you please send me a copy of your pricing sheet so I can get an idea. I'm new to doing this and I want to be consistant, your help would be so appreciated. [email protected]
Thank You icon_smile.gif
Stephanie Williams

dillonsmimi Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 11

Me too!!! [email protected]

JenWhitlock Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 11

melsie43,
hobby or not there are a couple things that you need to do.
one is find out what your local bakeries charge. you might charge, more you might charge less, but you need to know this information.

next, you need to know what your cakes cost you. first in materials and second in labor.
I am still a little surprised what my materials costs are, and that doesn't even include electricity or gas, etc.
(e.g. one of my little cakes with a lot of gumpaste work cost me $25 just for all the ingredients and boards, boxes etc, and my last large cake cost me about $70)
when you are making you cakes carefully note how much time you are spending from baking to clean up. I am slow and put a lot of detail into my work so an average cake for me is about 10 hours.

once you have this information you can get a sense of what your prices NEED to be. I started by only charging $2/serving and on some stuff I wasn't even covering all the costs I had, much less paying myself for my time. I just changed to $4/serving and while I'm covering my costs I'm not making minimum wage. (hopefully I'll get faster at this... especially with my new kitchen!!!)

if you don't arm yourself with this information you will have no way to defend your prices and you will start to burn out... I didn't think that it could happen, but trust me, it can.

KHalstead Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 11

let me see if this will work......if not, anyone that wants it can just pm me in case I don't remember to check this post in the future.

KHalstead Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 11

well, that kinda worked I guess........but it didn't include my second page.....let me try to do the second page too

KHalstead Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 11

here's the second page

melsie43 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the help all of you have given. Sorry I am just now posting back, but have been out of pocket for a while.
mel

CarolAnn Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:44am
post #11 of 11

KHalstead, thanks for this. I'm trying t put together a pricing chart myself and this will help a lot. I have a wedding cake consult on Sunday and can't find the chart I made before. Dern it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%