Cake Stand/board Question

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 1:54am by BakerzJoy

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding in a couple weeks and I am stumped on a board or stand. The cake is a 3 tier oval cake and I will transport the tiers seperate, so the bottom board won't have alot of weight.
I saw a great picture on Martha Stewart of a cake stand but I can't find anyone who sells it. So, I figured I could use a strong thick foam board they sell at Micheal's. I will have to cut it to the shape I need, but I wasn't sure if it would work. I won't put any other weight except the bottom tier. I was thinking of covering it in Fondant and putting lace around the sides. It will be my first attempt so give me advice on that if you can.
Anyone have any different things I could do in my dilemma. I would surely appreciate the feedback.
I will include the picture of the stand I saw on Martha Stewart.
LL

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 4

okay, I know you're saying because you're stacking on site the board won't have a lot of weight, but if you're stacking the cakes, the weight WILL be on the board from all 3 cakes! I have made EVERY single one of my boards in my photos. Generally I use foam core board, several layers (usually depending on how wide the ribbon is that I need to put around it lol) or even just cardboard circles like 5 or 6 hot glued together. This board is totally doable!!! They sell those wooden balls in the craft stores in the bead section, or they even have large pearls that look like that which would be REALLY pretty. Other than that your foam board idea should work. If you plan to use lace on the sides you'll want to cover the side with white ribbon first for the background so you don't see the layers of foam core. Depending on the size of your tiers you will need SEVERAL layers of the foam core...it is strong but being that your board will be lifted up by the balls you don't want it to risk bending and collapsing the whole cake.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 4

You could make a lovely cake stand buy a nice thick piece of wood from Home Depot, have it cut to the size & shape you want it, attach some of the wooden balls (also from home Depot & these can be screwed to the base doing the sunken screw thingy where you fill the holes with wood filler. Sand it nice & smooth & paint it any color you want. Stand your cake on foam core & then place on your stand. Hope this make sense to you, I am really not good at explaining.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your great ideas. I now know what I'm going to do and I feel confident about it!!
Your ideas have been so helpful!!
Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%