How To Make Dense Cupcakes - Not Fluffy??

Baking By jessieb578 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm by Ladiesofthehouse

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 10

I know I could join the cupcake thread, but I figured my question would get lost amongst the 150 page thread icon_lol.gif so I thought I'd ask here!

I generally use a doctored cake mix with an extra egg, milk and pudding - but I get fluffy cupcakes which is funny because my cakes are dense when I make them that way. icon_confused.gif

Any ideas on how to get a nice and dense cupcake??

9 replies
cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 10

What I would do is use a recipe like the WASC one. To the mix, you add 1 C flour, 1 C sugar, 1 C sour cream, (and more). Recipe is on this site. It makes a denser cake, that tastes more like homemade.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 10

I've used the WASC cake recipe - it's worked out well with cupcakes for you?? That's great, I'll be giving that a try tonight.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 10

I've not used it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work that way. Let us know how it turns out.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 10

I've used WASC for cupcakes and it works out great for me. Actually better than for cakes because my WASC cakes seem to sink in the middle (no matter how long I bake at 325...can't get it right)

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 10

I have been baking forever ... And sorry but I want to warn you guy's who have'nt tried the wasc { it is to soft it comes out chewy like a raw biscuit . I assume it's the extra sugar in the batch because I have added sour/c to my mixes and it was good and moist but .... It's a chemical balance thing . I was dissapointed because everyone say's how wonderful this is . Well idk . Good luck if you try it .

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:55am
post #7 of 10

Well, I'd say you just don't like it. icon_lol.gif

However, lots of people do. icon_smile.gif

It got (166 and counting) great reviews on www.recipezaar.com:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

And an additional 245 (and counting) 4+ stars on CC:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-1-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake-WASC.html

To each his/her own. thumbs_up.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 10

Hey Jan! icon_biggrin.gif

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 10

With the WASC for me it is hit or miss. When it comes out good, its really good. When it fails it really bombs. Most times it depends on the oven I am baking it in. In the wrong oven gummy patches here and there are a problem. Baking it longer makes the outsides crispy.

However, WASC cupcakes are great! icon_wink.gif Just don't overmix.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 10

I have found that if I don't refrigerate or freeze the WASC is when I don't like the texture. Once it's cold it is delicious!

The last one I made was a stacked birthday cake and people went nuts for it--even the people that said they don't like white cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%