What's The Best Way ....?

Decorating By catin Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm by have_your_cake

catin Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 3

What's the best way to make a graduation cap out of Fondant ? I've tried different approaches and none of them are keepers . I've tried covering up a bowl with the fondant to get the shape ... That didn't work . I've tried hand shaping it and that didn't work either . Is there a better way?

Now i'm really thinking on using RKT for the caps but I really would like it to be totally made of either gumpaste or Fondant like that the person can keep it as a reminder .

2 replies
Cakepro Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 3

May I ask why the bowl didn't work? It seems that would be the easiest way to do it.

How about using a balloon? icon_smile.gif

Either way, I would add gumpaste, Tylose, or Gum-Tex to the fondant to stiffen it and encourage it to dry faster & harder.

have_your_cake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 3

I'd try a variation on the Wilton favor box from course 4. Try making a template of heavy paper first to get the right shape. In case you don't have the Wilton book, here's the basic idea: use 50/50 fondant & gumpaste. Roll it kind of thick so it will keep it's shape. Cut a long band that is wider in the middle and form a ring and glue it together with gum glue. Let it dry a bit before you put the top on and glue it. You can form the tassel by hand and make ridges in it with a knife if you don't have a clay gun to make a real tassel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%