It's Humid-Fondant Mortar Board (Grad Cap) Won't Dry, Help!

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 3:09am by lutie

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #31 of 39

I had the same thing happen with the grad cap in this pic. I got the order the day before the graduation and it didn't have enough time to dry. I wound up stick a piece of cardboard that was just barely smaller than the top of the hat under the top part of the hat and it was enough to support it and then when they ate it they just removed the top and chucked the piece of cardboard before cutting the hat cake underneath!
LL

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #32 of 39

Thanks you guys for the website. I really would like to try it and it seems fairly easy. If mine fails, well, better luck next time! icon_wink.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #33 of 39

I just did one last weekend for my Grandson's Preschool Graduation. I covered a thin piece of cardboard on both the top and bottom with Satin Ice mixed with tylose and then made a long rope using my extruder and glued it around the side edge of the mortar board to cover where the 2 pieces of fondant came together. The cardboard definitely worked to help keep the morter board straight. The bottom part of the cap I made in a large muffin pan.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #34 of 39

I used candy melts to mold the mortarboard on the graduation cake I made last weekend. (Click on PHOTOS at the bottom of this message, to see it.)

Sturdy and quick-drying.... Just pop it in the fridge for a while, and it's ready to go! (Covered it with a thin layer of fondant, but you wouldn't HAVE to do that if the color of the candy melts matched the color of the fondant.)

Mine was almost life-size, so I molded it in an 8x8" pan, lined with wax paper.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #35 of 39

For the graduation cap in my photos (the blue one specifically) I used a cakeboard cut and covered with fondant/gp. It dries pretty fast. But at this point I would probably use gp and the board.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:55pm
post #36 of 39

But wouldn't candy melts melt in the humidity and heat?

I haven't had trouble ... the only trouble with my mortar boards so far is that I forget to stick something solid on top so it will dry completely flat.. because even drying flat the gp wants to start to misshapen (word? LOL) ... the ends wanted to curl up... so if I let it harden a little with a flat object on top for about a day it stays completely flat...

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:03pm
post #37 of 39

Humidity should not affect the candy melts at all, once they are hardened. High heat would not be good, though.

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #38 of 39

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. Everytime I've tried to sign on the site has been down, it was frustrating!!

My husband called that afternoon and was driving near a cake store an hour from me and asked if I needed anything, and he got me a plastic hat! YAY! I also had him pick up the chocolate mold for future use!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #39 of 39

... and all that fretting for nothing! icon_biggrin.gif Your husband is a good man to call and ask. It sure took the stress off of you, did it not? How big is your new mold?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%