Question About Stabized Whipping Cream

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm by sillywabbitz

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:32am
post #1 of 12

I tried the recipe using plain gelatin and it really didn't give it any body as far as decorating or basic piping. I'm not looking to do flowers or anything but I would like to do a border etc.

I saw a recipe using piping gel? Is this more stable than the gelatin?

Any thoughts are greatly apprecaited.

Thanks
Cristy

11 replies
hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:53am
post #2 of 12

I don't know about using piping gel, never tried that. I use a powdered stablilizer called whip-it. Works wonders, holds up, and you can pipe with it as well. You can find it at bulk food stores and the local Meijers store carries it. Empty the packet into the whipping cream and beat. ( I like sweetened whipped cream so I add sugar as well)

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 12

Is it possible that you did not beat the whipping cream long enough? I add powdered sugar, vanilla, and gelatin to whipped cream and am able to pipe borders and whatnot with it.

I've never heard of Whip-It. Thanks for the tip, hellie0h.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 12

I make stablized whipped cream that pipes beautifully and tastes wonderful by adding a small amount of white chocolate ganache to the heavy cream as I'm whipping it. No additional sweetening needed; no other flavors necessary.

How much ganache you add will depend on how stiff you want the whipped cream. I usually use about 2-3 ounces of white chocolate to 2 cups of heavy cream. Melt the chocolate with about 1/4 cup of the heavy cream and let cool to room temp (still liquid-y). Beat the rest of the heavy cream as normal to medium peak; add the ganache; continue beating to stiff peak.

This of course will need refrigerating. When chilled, this will have a firmer texture than whipped cream and a mousse-like flavor.

kitkatkit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitkatkit Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 12

Can you ice the cake with it too. Is this like the whipped icing that you get from the stores. icon_cool.gif

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 12

I use a stabilizer made by Oetker- I get it at Albertson's
its fantastic
I used it the other day
I used the whipping cream as filling
and as frosting on the cake.
The cake only lasted about a day- it was delicious - so I don't know about shelf life

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 12

Sue, wow! I've never even heard of this!! Does this come out pretty smooth?? Do you have a pic where you've used this recipe?

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 12

i icon_smile.gif

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 12

I don't know what happened to my previous message. I was saying you gotta try this combo, courtesy of CC member PJcakes. This worked for me and I've never looked back. Delicious, pipes very well, and quite stable. You use whipping cream and mix with 1/2 a box of dry pudding (ie vanilla, etc) this is what she wrote in a previous post - The recipe is very easy to adjust to however much you need. The pudding doesn't have to be exact you can adjust it to your liking. The more pudding the thicker the icing. I have used vanilla, chocolate, cheesecake, banana, but I'm sure whatever you choose will taste good. The cream itself doesn't have much flavor so the icing takes on the flavor of the pudding. Just make sure you add the pudding mix to the whipping cream before you whip it. I have tried adding more after and it tasted gritty it doesn't mix well after it is whipped.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 12

That sounds yummy! Thank you for sharing, Sugarbakers05!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 12

I use Frostin' Pride or Bettercreme -- just pour into bowl and whip. I do what I can to make everything quick and easy without sacrificing taste icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone.
Especially for the fast response. I think I will try white chocolate pudding, makes sense because the whipping cream is just the milk. No matter what with whipping cream I have to keep it in the fridge.

I will also look for the stablizer at Albertson as an alternative. I love the taste and flavor of just whipping cream, just need it to stand up a bit more.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%