Hot Hot Hot - Help Me I'm Melting.

Decorating By cdavis Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm by cdavis

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:29am
post #1 of 5

Okay guys I'm sitting the Panhandle of Texas trying to ice and fondant a wedding cake. It has been 100+ every day this week (106 on Monday) so the ground is sizzling even at midnight. I have AC in my house but I'm having a devil of a time getting the fondant on my cake before the buttercream starts to melt.

I've chilled the cake before icing with buttercream, again after the buttercream and still having problems.

I think I'm gonna have to go with a thicker layer of fondant. I usually roll it pretty thin because most people don't care for it anyway. I do make my own MMF and have never had this problem.

It hasn't been this hot in 10 years. Wow!!! Anybody come up against this before? icon_sad.gif

4 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 5

I know how you feel, I am north of you in Perryton, I can't stand this heat. I would just say you would have to make your fondant thicker like you said. I have a wedding saturday outside and I am dreading it. Sorry I can't help much, I just thought it was cool to see someone from my are on here. I go to Amarillo all the time. Do you have any cake supply stores there besides, Hobby Lobby & Michaels? Sorry to get off subject but was always wondering.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 5

I'm in Odessa, so I can relate! Thicker MMF is all I would know to do. Is your bc a Crisco-based or butter? I can't use the butter in this heat, it puddles up! Indydebi has a bc recipe with Dream Whip that works well in heat & humidity, but I haven't tried it in this dry heat that we're having.

I'm looking for a chocolate bc that won't melt. A friend of dh is taking the groom's cake for her nephew's wedding & I'm making it. They will be travelling up that way somewhere, so it needs to withstand the heat and travel...any ideas? My usual choc bc is all butter, so I guess I'll try my recipe with Crisco or 1/2 Crisco?

Good luck!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 5

I too have to just use shortening based chocolate bc too. Butter is not good in this heat. I do put butter flavoring in the frosting, to help with the flavor.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies
Shelly4481 We really don't have many choices on supplies. I usually go to Michaels, Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's. The kitchen gallery has some really cool pans and toys (oops tools) but no tips, etc. Hobby Lobby has a coupon online almost every week and if you can get on their mailing list, JoAnn's has some good coupons. I got lucky enough to go to Galveston last month and stopped in Houston on my way. I found some really nice plates, pillars, etc. I've thought about opening a cake supply shop here in Amarillo but I'm waiting to see what the new Michael's looks like.
I order alot from CakesbySam and get my order within 3 days.

I have been using all vegetable shortening in the dreamwhip buttercream and still having problems. I've turned the AC up in the house and it's helping.

bkdcakes - I use my regular bc recipe and then add Hershey's cocoa to it and blend well in the Kitchenaid. It works just fine and tastes good too. It's not creamy like most chocolate icing, just tastes like chocolate buttercream but it does hold up well for me.

It's great to know there are so many CCers around.
Thanks again for the posts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%