Attaching Antennae To Edible Butterflies???????

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 4:41pm by CAKESHERWAY

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:34am
post #1 of 7

If I do the butterflies using the article here on cc, and I use vellum paper, cover with piping gel (Is this really the best way to do this?), pipe out the royal icing body, then how do I do the antennae? The butterfly will be all ivory (if I can ever find a decent pic that the bride agrees to ) so the antennae need to be ivory too???? Any helpful tips on this would be sooo appreciated! Thanks!

6 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #2 of 7

A recent thread by 'lovemypups' on RI butterflys, she suggests using flowers stamens as the antenni icon_smile.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5930429.html#5930429

HTH's

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:58am
post #3 of 7

Not sure if this helps but I did a cake with butterflies/antennae for my niece's birthday. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1227160.html

The antennae are flower stamens with the ends painted black.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 7

I had great success using the flower stamens when making the bodies out of gumpast or fondant.. You can get them in almost any colour and the cut easily, but I had trouble keeping them evenly set in the body when using RI bodies, like so that they're not almost on the sides... do you know what I mean? Any tips?? Maybe my ri isn't thick enough?

CAKESHERWAY Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy

I had great success using the flower stamens when making the bodies out of gumpast or fondant.. You can get them in almost any colour and the cut easily, but I had trouble keeping them evenly set in the body when using RI bodies, like so that they're not almost on the sides... do you know what I mean? Any tips?? Maybe my ri isn't thick enough?

Hi Muddpuppy,
If you use gumpaste or fondant for the body, how would I insert the paper wings to the sides of the body? Thanks to you and everyone for the helpful tips!

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 7

I've done it a couple of ways...
I either cut the wings so there is a little tab on the side that will be attatched to the body and then insert the tab into a little slot I make with the tip of my xacto knife while the fondant or gumpaste is still plyable and pinch it every so slightly..... OR.... I also had success just "glueing the wings onto the body after they've dried, still using the little tab technique and some r.i.....i just attached the tab to the back of the body then coloured it with food colouring markers to blend in the colour... if you've got a better way let me know!! Please and thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

CAKESHERWAY Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy

I've done it a couple of ways...
I either cut the wings so there is a little tab on the side that will be attatched to the body and then insert the tab into a little slot I make with the tip of my xacto knife while the fondant or gumpaste is still plyable and pinch it every so slightly..... OR.... I also had success just "glueing the wings onto the body after they've dried, still using the little tab technique and some r.i.....i just attached the tab to the back of the body then coloured it with food colouring markers to blend in the colour... if you've got a better way let me know!! Please and thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

That's great! Thanks so much for all your help!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%