Is There A Way To Keep A Fondant Decoration From A Cake?

Decorating By healigh Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 5:32am by ceshell

healigh Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 3

I know I posted this earlier...but it was way down on the list and I was thinking maybe there is more traffic in the evening and someone could help?

I am working on a birthday cake decorated with KISS the rock group. The picture I am painting on this fondant cake is so awesome I might think the person getting the cake will not want to cut into the picture and preserve it. Is there a way to preserve the art work if is food coloring painted on fondant.
The cake is going to be done in all buttercream, just the picture will be on a square of fondant painted with the food coloring.

Thanks

2 replies
arline Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #2 of 3

(You might want to consider revising your title - it's a little confusing and might be preventing people from reading your msg. - perhaps something like, "Is there a way to preserve a large fondant cake topper as a memento?") Okay, my only suggestion might be to consider putting a thin sheet of white cardboard down on top of the cake and THEN lay down the fondant piece. This way it can be lifted off in its entirety when the cake is ready to be cut. And, it can then be covered in Saran.

arline

ceshell Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:32am
post #3 of 3

Yep, what she said! icon_smile.gif

I would definitely mount the fondant square onto a piece of cardboard, and then also put parchment between the "topper" and the cake. Better yet create a second, slightly larger fondant square to act as a kind of border...that's the fondant that goes directly onto your icing, then lay a piece of parchment on it, then your cardboard-mounted fondant topper. The background "border" piece would help ensure that no bc sneaks its way onto the topper you want to save.

To preserve the topper the recipient will want to keep it away from light or else the colors will fade, especially anything with red in it (purples, oranges, pinks...well, not pink on a KISS cake lol).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%