Worried I May Have Messed Up Big

Decorating By NayNay2 Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 2:03am by alanahodgson

NayNay2 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 8

I am making 2 cakes for my twins birthday parties on Saturday and I wanted to get a head start and started making them today.

1. How long can I leave them in the fridge?
2. Do I need to cover them while in there?
3. And my biggest issues are I am using a 10" base (2 layer) w/ a 8" top (2 layer) should I not stack them until Saturday and do I need to support them?

HELP!! I'm so not use to having 2 big cakes to do for the same time that I think I got ahead of myself and now I'm worried I've messed up. icon_sad.gif

7 replies
alanahodgson Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:13am
post #2 of 8

Are they already iced?

Yes, use supports for stacking them.

NayNay2 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:19am
post #3 of 8

I have a crumb coat on the already stacked 10" for one of the cakes...the other cakes are made and cooled and set aside not iced yet.

NayNay2 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:30am
post #4 of 8

And when you say to support them do you mean with dowels & a cake board in between the 8" - 10"?

butterflywings Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

freeze them. you can wrap them all in saran and freeze them until thursday night, then take them out, sit on the counter (but don't unwrap until they are fully thawed). this will help maintain the moisture and freshness. i would not stack them until friday evening or saturday morning (depending on the time of your party and how much other work you have to do to ready for the party)

NayNay2 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:52am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the help! Next time I'll do everything at the last minute (like I always do) so I don't run into these worries again lol.

butterflywings Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:00am
post #7 of 8

LOL - no worries. I usually bake on Thursday, decorate on Friday for cakes due Saturday (depending on how many cakes I have due and the amount of decorating involved). so i have baked monday, tuesday or wednesday and frozen until ready to thaw & decorate.

alanahodgson Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #8 of 8

No! No last minute! There's nothing wrong with freezing cakes. Many of us do it. It's the only way for some of us to be able to make cakes. I have a full time job besides my little cake thing. I have to bake and freeze ahead. I make icings and fillings ahead, too. I try to leave only assembly for the last day. No need for last minute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%