Help - Royal Icing Carnations

Decorating By ckeel127 Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm by missmeg

ckeel127 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to do a carnation with royal icing but they're just not cooperating with me. This is my first time trying to do the carnation so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I checked out Wilton's instructions but the picture doesn't quite show exactly how it's done. I read in one of the posts that you should do it in an "M" shape. Didn't come out either. Please help.

I've posted of picture of how my terrible carnations came out. Please tell me what I"m doing wrong.

3 replies
ResaB Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:17am
post #2 of 4

I couldn't say for sure, but it looks like your icing may not be stiff enough because it looks to me like it is not holding it's shape very well.

KristaJ Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 4

This might be a really stupid question, but is that the way you are supposed to use the flower formers? icon_redface.gif I have been putting my flowers inside the formers so the petals curve up.

missmeg Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 4

Your RI needs to be pretty stiff to do carnations. I've only done them once, based on instructions in one of the Wilton books. Mine came out a little sparse, but you can see them in the pic below.

First you make a ball on your flower nail that's about 1/2" in diameter. Then beginning along the outside edges, do your first row of petals. Then the next row in, making the petals a little smaller each time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%