What Is This Icing On These Cupcakes??

Decorating By hluterbach Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm by Cakechick123

hluterbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hluterbach Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 9

i have a bride that wants this look on 100 cupcakes but i am not sure if it is fondant or some sort of melted something or other. any ideas how to achieve this look? she wants half pink and half brown along with two small 6 inch cakes with a fondant bow on the 6 inch cakes. so also if anyone has any suggestions on how much to charge i would appreciate it. this is my first wedding. thanks, heidi
LL

8 replies
tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 9

Those cupcakes look like fondant or rbc to me. CCs tend to dry out faster than cake so don't make them too early.

For price you need to factor in travel time to the reception, assembly as well as your regular cc price. Price varies widely from state to state, city to city. Call around to see what the going rate is for ccs in your area. Don't forget to charge her for the stand unless she already has something for you to use.

Good luck and post your pictures!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 9

i agree it looks like fondant to me. It also looks like the cup cakes might have been leveled before icing.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:49am
post #4 of 9

i third that that it looks like fondant or rolled buttercream. i haven't done wedding cc yet, so my price not be what your looking for. i charge $15 a dozen for plain, unfilled, buttercream iced cupcakes. if i had to do 100 of them in fondant or rbc, i would deifnitely be charging more.

hluterbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hluterbach Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #5 of 9

i am just east of milwaukee if that helps with pricing ideas. she wants 100 cupcakes, half with filling and all with fondant tops. then the 2 6in. cakes probably will be buttercream with large fondant bows. i was originally thinking 150 but then i heard about the fondant and now i am not sure. i also have to figure in the cost of the stand which i somehow need to find for cheap. thanks for all your help ladies. i feel sort of lost on this one since it is my first.
heidi

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #6 of 9

To me, it looks like the poured fondant (that you would use on petit fours) on the cupcakes.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 9

No way would I do all that for just $150. Fondant covered cupcakes (without filling) would cost at least that much if not more. I would also charge a minimum of $10 for each bow on the 6" cakes. Are the cupcakes going to be decorated at all? If so the cost would go up for that.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 9

My regular buttercream swirl cupcakes are $1.50 each. Fondant covered ones would be $2.00 each. If the 6" cakes were 2 layers--I charge $25.00 each for those--Fondant covered--more.

And maybe more on the cupcakes depending on the design.
My starting price for all of that would be $250.00

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 9

the stand is easy. just get a glas shop to cut you some rounds and stick wine glasses inbetween the layers. You can see a sand like that in my photos.

And that does look like fondant to me too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%