Help W/ Flooding Icing!!

Baking By kutabby Updated 7 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm by cookieswithdots

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 5

I make NFSC w/ Antonia's RI. I can't seem t get the flooding technique correct. I either end up w/ 2 different colors between the dam and the flood icing or you can definitely see where the dam ends and the flooding begins. Plus, if I ever do master this...how long do you need to wait before you add detail on the flooding layer?
Thanks!!!
Tabby

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 5

Sounds like you may just need to pipe a bit faster and fill it just a little fuller? Once the icing starts to crust (literally like 30-60 seconds, you are going to have a tough time moving it around smoothly.)

I've PM'ed you the article I wrote, which has the step-by-step method which I do. Hopefully there's something in there that can help you? icon_smile.gif

As for timing, you can have a flushed/sunken effect to the cookie by piping details in another colour right away (when the icing is still wet.) You can also wait a few hours, about 4-6 hours (until the background has crusted (but sometimes icings with strong contrasting colours like white/black, red/yellow will bleed into one another and look messy and awful.)

Generally, I either pipe the details right away and they "sink" into each other....or I wait overnight and the details are on top of the background icing.

Here's some pics illustrating what I'm talking about. In the first and second photos, the striping on the golf bags and the lettering/details on the bottle labels were piped on when the background icing was totally dry, so they are placed on top and don't sink in. In the third and fourth photos, the dots on the baby prams/bottles and the blue scrollwork on the monogram cookies were piped on when the background icing was totally wet....so they "sunk" in and are flush.

Timing makes a totally different effect on the cookies.
LL
LL
LL
LL

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:12am
post #3 of 5

antonia 74 - is the article you have written listed under articles?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, it's under the "Articles" tab in the "Tutorials" category, here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

icon_smile.gif

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 5

After learning and working with rolled buttercream, I am ready to venture out.

I'm anxious to try this, and just love the results.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%