Buttercream Cake In 90Plus Temp..

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, need advise here. I have a wedding this Saturday..it is suppose to be 90 plus degrees outside. I called the vendor today to arrange setup time and they said the wedding is going to be OUTDOORS. (under a large tent, no walls)

I warn all my brides that I will not set up a buttercream wedding cake in anything over 72 degrees, and if they are doing an outdoor wedding, I will only do them in Fondant. I even have a statement in my contract that states this fact. This bride NEVER mentioned to me that they are doing it outdoors. Now I have had my buttercream cakes stand up fine in spring weddings of 70s...(I had one a few weeks ago where it was under a tent for 6 hours with no problems..it was in the upper 70s) We decided to do the setup time an hour before the reception starts and hopefully the cake will do fine.

I was wondering if I should have someone sign (I usually dont have any sign) that the cake arrived fine incase it melts? Should I freeze it? (sometimes defrosting makes it worse!) The cake is going to be a buttercream cake with some swirls on it and fondant ribbon along the bottom of the cake..three tiers. should I see if there is anyway possible to have the cake inside and have them carry it outside when its time for cake cutting? Or just let the contract disclaimer carry me? Any ideas?

2 replies
tippyad Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 3

I don't suggest freezing it. It'll sweat as it comes to "room" temperature and that may end up being a nightmare. Even if it's under a tent @ 90 degrees I wouldn't recommend it being outside for very long because of all the bugs. They love sugar!

Would the bride mind it staying indoors until the reception? I think that would be the best bet. I assume it's being catered. Ask her to contact the caterer to see if they'd be willing to move it outside just prior to the reception.

If it's in your contract you should be covered.

If all suggestions fail then take a few pictures of the cake after it's assembled so you'll have proof of a successful delivery.

loriemoms Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Tippy...I am going to see if the vendor will let me put the cake inside and have them carry it out for the cake cutting. (I always take a photo at delivery, you never know what can happen to a cake once you leave!)

It is suppose to hit 98 with high humidity. At least if the cakes melts, it won't be alone. Can you image wearing a tux and a wedding dress in that kind of heat?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%