Cookie Newbie.. Need Help Please...

Baking By wgoat5 Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 12:56am by toleshed

wgoat5 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 13

Customer wants wedding cake PLUS cookies PLUS tuxedo strawberries from me... I know I have to do the strawberries day before... How FAR in advance can I do the sugar cookies.. Oh yes.. she wants the bust of the dress... (heart shaped cutter)

Is this doable for a newbie??? What icing can I use that will harden then pipe the lines of the dress on.. OH yes each dress gets a little fondant flower... make this easy on me gals... CAN I do this 3 or 4 days in advance..

* praying * please say I can PLEASE say I can LOL

Thanks a million guys icon_smile.gif

12 replies
antonia74 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 13

3-4 days is totally fine! (If you have to individually package each one in cellophane, you can push it even further to 5-7 days and they still taste delish!) These aren't soft, chewy cookies...so no worries about them seeming stale after a few days. It's once the butter in the recipe gets old (10-14 days sometimes for me in my climate) that really pushing the freshness boundary IMHO.

I generally like to make mine 2-3 days before they are consumed, but you have a lot on your plate with that order...so don't feel bad about getting the cookies done and out of the way. (Just store them carefully in a cool, non-humid environment, out of direct heat/sunlight is nice too if you can. Not the fridge! icon_cool.gif ) Some bakers even freeze them far in advance with perfect results, but for the short period you are talking about here in this situation that's really not going to be necessary.

wgoat5 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you SOOOOO much icon_biggrin.gif

That was the answer to a bunch of my questions.. now .. what do you recommend for the icing? icon_biggrin.gif

Life saver you are!!! icon_biggrin.gif

antonia74 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 13

Ummm.....I hear the "Antonia74 Royal Icing for Decorated Cookies" is super! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

(Sorry, I couldn't resist! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif )

wgoat5 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 13

Ohhh * slappin self on head * AND LMAO LOL... oOPs sorry Antonia!!! LOLOL

How do I use yours.. need a base and then a araised for deco on the "bodices"

wgoat5 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 13

OK DOKEY LOL you have explained it ALL icon_smile.gif

I just went and looked icon_smile.gif

Thanks for all the information icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 13

icon_lol.gif No problem!

Coincidentally, I just posted this reply helping someone to see the different "looks" of piping details on either wet or dry background icing. That might help you too for your cookies. You will want to let your background colour icing dry solid (overnight) before you put on the bodice's details over that.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-589969-.html

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

raquel1 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 13

I just made some NFSC in "derriere" shape w/undies for my husband's fishing trip. I used Antonia74's icing and it was soo easy to work with and it made me look soo good! I baked and iced them three days in advance and they were just great. Another great tutorial for cookie making is www.kitchengifts.com/cookiebaking.html Her method for rolling and chilling the dough is a real time/mind saver(using parchment paper) Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 13

RB and/or fondant are also quick and easy ways to get a general color so you only need to decorate with the RI. I use the RB recipe off here.

wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 13

thank you guys... I appreciate you all sooooo much!!

TSG177 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 13

I have used royal icing as well for cookies and have decorated my cookies a few days before and they were fine. I have always used royal icing but Aswartzw mentioned fondant. How would you get the fondant to stick to the cookie?

Sandy

yankeegal Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 13

Antonia's royal is the best icing I have used!
Good luck with your order.

toleshed Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:56am
post #13 of 13

TSG177
I always use a dab of corn syrup to stick my fondant to the cookie. But alot of people have the cutout fondant ready to put on the cookie when they are taken out of the oven. Just lay it on and it sticks. But you have to be really prepared. I'm not organized enough. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%