How Much Will A 7 Qt Produce?

Business By jewelykaye Updated 9 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm by jewelykaye

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 18

Okay, so my KA is slowly dieing. icon_cry.gif Right now it's at the point that it won't go past the #4 speed.

Anywho... I'm looking into purchasing (or asking for my B-Day) a new mixer. I think I want to go with a 7qt. Not too big and not too small.

My question is how many cakes mixes can you do at one time in the 7 qt?

Thanks a bunch!

17 replies
jewelykaye Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 18

Anybody???

Arterr0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arterr0 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #3 of 18

I would like to know this too, as I'm shopping for a new mixer as well, so here's a bump.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:30am
post #4 of 18

well doing the math I get the following

4 cups = 1qt
6cups = 1 DH cake mix w/1 box pudding + 1 egg (different cake mixes make different amounts of batter, so you will need to know how much your recipes make)

so a 7 qt mixer will hold a maxium of 28 cups (probably really less than that so you don't go over the top of the bowl)

I could do 4 of my mix recipes in a 7 qt with about 4 cups left open.

If you use a different mix without any sort of additions then you could probably do more. DH seems to make more cups of batter than other mxies.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:49am
post #5 of 18

I have a 7-qt Viking, and when I'm doing an enhanced/doctored cake mix that produces 7.5 cups of batter, I can easily do two batches at the same time with room to spare. Never tried 3, though (my oven's not that big!).

I can do a quadruple batch of buttercream: 2 cups butter, 2 cups crisco, 4 lbs powdered sugar + misc flavorings. It's worth having just for that alone...I hate making multiple batches of frosting!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:23am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

I can do a quadruple batch of buttercream: 2 cups butter, 2 cups crisco, 4 lbs powdered sugar + misc flavorings. It's worth having just for that alone...I hate making multiple batches of frosting!!!

I so could have used this tonight! I just made 24 cups of buttercream and the most I can make in my KA mixer is 6 cups =( I am so tired of dishes and hearing that mixer running tonight. (also mixed up three cakes tonight and baked them)

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:13am
post #7 of 18

7 qt

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 18

I have a 7qt by Kenwood. i dont like it. the bowl has no handle to hold so its awkward to hold when its full. the bowl is too deep, again that makes it hard to scrape the sides far enough down, and i just dont lke the way it makes icing.

jewelykaye Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

I have a 7qt by Kenwood. i dont like it. the bowl has no handle to hold so its awkward to hold when its full. the bowl is too deep, again that makes it hard to scrape the sides far enough down, and i just dont lke the way it makes icing.

Sweetcakes- If you were to buy a new mixer and could only spend $600 what would you buy???

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 18

I just bought a 7qt Cuisinart - I can make a quadruple batch of buttercream in it too (LOVE THAT!!), and I can make up a full batch of cake batter for a 3-inch 16inch round without having to remix - another gotta love!!

I also have a 4qt KA, so I use that when I need smaller batches - it's also handy having the two mixers when I am baking and decorating at the same time - one is for cake mixing, and the other is for icing.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 18

I have a 7 qt. Viking and it's awesome. Runs circles around my KA. I would try to find an extra $25 to buy it (it's $525). I bake from scratch, so no clue on how many boxes it will take. I can do a recipe and a half of Sylvia Weinstock's IMBC (1 recipe makes a horrible mess in my KA). I've done at least 3x some of my scratch recipes. I use my 20 qt for anything more.

girlinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlinspired Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 18

Hi - I got the new 7 qut. Cuisinart mixer, and I love it! I've done quadruple batches of frosting, and even once with 6 cups shortening and 6 lb. powdered sugar. That was definitely the max though, as it was right up to the head! Can easily do multiple cake mixes or just a single if I want. As long as your mixer has good control with the speeds and power, I would recommend the 7 qut. Also, check the shape of the bowl as to whether the mixer will be able to incorporate all the ingredients as well as ease of adding ingredients while running. I did alot of research and am happy with what I have. Good luck!

jewelykaye Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #13 of 18

Thanks everyone!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 12:54am
post #14 of 18

Before you scrap your KA check to see if perhaps a new set of brushes will perk it up like new! I am on my second set of brushes...they go in where the little screws are on the sides of th mixer, and are quite inexpensive compared to a new mixer! My original KA is over 30 years old and still goin' strong!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:31pm
post #15 of 18

if you decide to buy a new mixer do look at the bowl, that is where my only problems lie. it has plenty of power so that was good.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 4:53am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

if you decide to buy a new mixer do look at the bowl, that is where my only problems lie. it has plenty of power so that was good.

I've seen bowls for them with the handles. Google it and you will probably find some. Kenwood/Delonghi- same difference, lol.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #17 of 18

I have a 7 qt cuisinart and using sugarshack's bc recipe do 7 cup shortening/7 lb p sugar with no problem. Love it. The only drawback is not having a handle on the side. It is heavy and hard to handle when full.
But other than that it's great. The most cake mixes I have done is 3.

Susan

jewelykaye Posted 9 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

I have a 7 qt cuisinart and using sugarshack's bc recipe do 7 cup shortening/7 lb p sugar with no problem. Love it. The only drawback is not having a handle on the side. It is heavy and hard to handle when full.
But other than that it's great. The most cake mixes I have done is 3.

Susan

I was wondering if I just did 7 and 7 for Sugarshack's recipe. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%