Fee For Samples And Tasting?

Baking By zoraya Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm by yankeegal

zoraya Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 12

I just got a call today. Customer wants to see and taste some samples of wedding favor cookies and bridal gift cookies. Would you normally charge for this? I'm thinking yes but don't know how much. It would probably be 4-6 4" cookies plus a couple of cupcakes too for a cake tasting. TIA!

11 replies
indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 12

You do samplings for cookies? icon_confused.gif

If she wants to "sample" cookies, I'm happy to sell her a dozen or whatever my minimum is.

I also have ONE recipe for these kinds of cookies, so doing 4 or 5 cookies doesn't make sense to me.

zoraya Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 12

no, I guess it doesn't make sense thats why I'm reaching out to all you experts. I've never done this before so I wasn't sure. They've never had my cookies before so I guess they want to know what they taste like. How would you handle this? Make one just for tasting and then pictures or sketches of design ideas? Help me, I'm a newbie at this. :cry

eta - I only do one cookie flavor too - NFSC w/ Antonia RI. I guess really they want to see what I can do.

indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 12

If you have a cookie that she can taste while she's there for a cake sampling anyway, I don't see a problem with that. I just wouldn't set up a sampling if all she wants is a cookie.

It's like I tell my brides when they sample my cakes .... here's a piece of my cake so you can see what my baking tastes like ... here's my books with pics that show you the work I can do.

The debate on to charge for samples or not is always ongoing ... lot of different viewpoints on this one. I don't charge for samplings (and I do catering, so I not only make them cake, but also serve them a small lunch!). I view it as part of my advertising budget ... part of the cost of doing business. But because the samplings are free, they are done on my terms.

millicente Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 12

I was wondering the same thing. I have noticed that I have been doing samples for folks on my full time job from other departments they always say my cookies a just sooooo good but never order and come by my desk all the time to see if i have samples and scince I'm just starting out I really don't want to loose the biz before i get it...so its like a catch 22

antonia74 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 12

I"ll provide 2 sample cookies in the person's actual cookie shape/flavour/design ($25 fee) only IF their final order is for a minimum of 100 cookies/over $500.

If they don't book with me, I have still paid myself that $25 for doing those samples. If they do book with me, I deduct that $25 fee from their final order.

Either way, I still get paid and applying it makes them feel that they have been given a little "discount" deal. Win/Win! icon_smile.gif I think I've actually only ever had one person not book after getting the samples, (though I think she may have taken it to a competitor to try to get a better price icon_mad.gif . That's the risk you take.)

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:04am
post #7 of 12

I've only had one person ask for samples and he gladly paid my regular price for the cookies plus shipping. I wouldn't know how to do it any other way, unless they wanted to pick up samples when you had extra from another order or something, but I wouldn't make special decorated samples unless they were going to pay for them. If they want to taste, it doesn't matter what the shape is.

indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:50am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by millicente

I was wondering the same thing. I have noticed that I have been doing samples for folks on my full time job from other departments they always say my cookies a just sooooo good but never order and come by my desk all the time to see if i have samples and scince I'm just starting out I really don't want to loose the biz before i get it...so its like a catch 22

THere's a simple way to nip that in the bud. I had the same situation when I had a full time job. I'd bring in the overbakes at the end of the week. Then it got to where people expected the free cookies and started placing their orders for what they wanted me to bring in .... for free! I finally had to tell them, "My oven time is at a premium. If you want on the baking schedule, you have to place an order (that means pay for them!) with me so I can fit you in on the schedule. Right now I'm schedule the week of blah blah blah ...." Sometimes my "schedule the week of" was 3 weeks away!

It worked.

kneadacookie Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 12

i used to give samples to everyone and anyone. now, i still do make samples, but it's mostly people who want to see a particular design, like a company logo. and even then, i tell them i will email them a picture of the sample. my husband likes that idea because then he can eat it. some people i still give the actual cookie. today i have to take a couple cookies to a possible new client. it's an oil company that might want to start using me....you want samples?? absolutely!!!

KHalstead Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 12

I do my wedding cake tastings for free! I offer up to 4 different flavors of cake and 4 different fillings for up to 4 people at no charge......each serving after that is $5.00 for additional flavors or people. So far, I haven't had anyone NOT book after the tasting and have had a couple sign on the spot......so if someone was planning on ordering cookies too I would probably be willing to give them those samples free too. I have thought about charging for them, but figure if my stuff tastes good enough the money made on the final cake will more than cover my expenses. Also, I have pretty regular cake orders now so I can usually sneak out a cupcakes worth of batter from whatever flavors I need anyways...so generally I have NO waste from the tastings. Cookie dough freezes really well too, so I'd be inclined to just whip up a batch, take out the 4 cookies worth and freeze the rest for the next order....not that big of a deal!

zoraya Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 12

everyone has great suggestions and see that everyone does everything differently. I guess it just depends on how long you've been in business, how much business you have and how desperate you are! icon_lol.gif
I've done tons of cookies but its always been based on what ever I'm doing at the time according to season. This is the first time I've actually had someone request specific samples of my work and for tasting.
Since I haven't done what shes asking for, other than a wedding cake cookie, I'll have to make them anyway for pictures. So next cookie batch I do, I'll just make those specific ones for them and be sure to take pictures. That way next time around, I can base my response to the request. If they want to see my work, I have pictures. If they want to taste it, I can provide what I have available. If nothing, then charge for a batch of a simple design, nothing fancy. If they want custom samples, then I'll do like antonia74 does and charge a fee that can be placed towards an actual order - no order, no money back.
Thanks everyone for your replies, I knew you all could help! thumbs_up.gif

yankeegal Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

i used to give samples to everyone and anyone. now, i still do make samples, but it's mostly people who want to see a particular design, like a company logo. and even then, i tell them i will email them a picture of the sample. my husband likes that idea because then he can eat it. some people i still give the actual cookie. today i have to take a couple cookies to a possible new client. it's an oil company that might want to start using me....you want samples?? absolutely!!!

I do samples as well...I have NEVER not booked an order from providing a sample. I mostly do them for weddings and I use the opportunity to meet with the bride and get a feel for what they are looking for. I send out a lot of pictures as well-and like Dawn's hubby, mine is more than happy to eat the extras! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%