Frozen Buttercream Transfer Question Please

Decorating By Mickeebabe Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 4:14am by calicopurr

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 32

I am attempting my first frozen buttercream trasfer tomorrow. Do I have to use a buttercream that is half butter and half shortening? Can I use all shortening?

Any other tips or suggestions to make my first transfer a success would be greatly appreciated.

I am so nervous. It's for a birthday cake.

Thanks

Kimberly

31 replies
bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 32

You can use all shortening buttercream. I do it all of the time! You just want to make sure that you fill it in generously and evenly so that it will be even when you put it on the cake! I think you will find that it is very easy and has wonderful results! Good luck!

WJNL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WJNL Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 32

I did my first buttercream transfer last month for a first communion. I was very nervous too but it was much easier than I thought. I only wish I had done it on plexiglass or glass so that I could have lifted it and seen if it was smooth before I froze it. Its in my photos. Not perfect but better than I anticipated. Good Luck!

Mickeebabe Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 32

How do you look up someones pictures?

bambuf Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 32

WJNL makes a great point about the plexiglass. I usually use one of those inexpensive plastic frames...you know, the kind that has a cardboard back on it...to do my transfers on. I slip the design into the frame....cover the plastic part with my wax paper...then when I am finished with the design, I just slip the cardboard back off so that I can get a sneak peak at the design for any holes, etc.

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 32

you can look up people under the memberlist on top of this page, I just select and copy the name and paste it in the member search.

As for the FBCT its not hard, I made one, not perfect but I was happy with it. I think I stressed it more than I should have

good luck and have fun with it icon_smile.gif

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 32

I have been wanting to try the FBCT...the plexiglass frame idea is wonderful!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeebabe

How do you look up someones pictures?

you just click on the little tab that says "photos" under one of their posts too!

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 32

I would love to do a FBCT but I don't understand how exactly it is done. I have looked at the tutorial on this site, but maybe I am too dense, but when you are spreading the back of the transfer, it also says to gently press to make sure the corners and everything is filled and it smooth. But how do you make sure not to blend the colors? Does this make any sense to any one?

bambuf Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 32

cakesonly,

See if this tutorial helps you any... icon_smile.gif

http://sdbytracy.com/frozbutter.htm

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 32

i still dont get it.
i guess i got to try it and maybe it will make sense.
thanks for the instructions!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 32

When you do it it's easier than it may sound. Not a difficult technique as long as the icing you use works with it (some work better than others). Here's the icing I used when I did mine. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

My FBCT are these: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=81057 and http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=84946

bambuf Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #13 of 32

Aundrea,

Perhaps this will help.... Once you have filled in your design, and are ready to add the background color coat (like white), use an icer tip, like you would use to ice the outside of your cake...or, even a large basketweave tip to pipe a thin coat of the background color evenly over the design. This should allow you to have a nice coat of background icing without mixing your colors from beneath. Once you have covered the entire design with the background color, gently smooth it with an offset spatula, using an even pressure. This should work the colored design into all of the cracks and crannies beneath the background color. Does that make sense?

bartar01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bartar01 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 32

It's definately easier than it seems. I had to do one Monday night and was not feeling great, so I ended up using store-bought canned icing. I had to work quite a bit faster than with my usual buttercream recipe, but it still got the job done and came out really well.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #15 of 32

I'm doing my first one this week and I'm scared to death! Oh well....at least it's only frosting. There's plenty more where that came from!

bambuf Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #16 of 32

you'll do fine sugarmama! It really is pretty easy! icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:13am
post #17 of 32

I did my first one a week and a half ago, and I had read a recommendation by someone who used plexiglass to see the design as they filled it in. I can't even express how glad I am that I read that post! I haven't used my FBCT yet - it's for a b-day cake weekend. I am still nervous as to how it's going to turn out on the cake.

I actually did two of them (Little Mermaid). I did one an actually incorporated it into the cake top - so I traced my pan circle onto the same wax paper and I did the Ariel picture and filled in the entire area around the pic with white icing, and I iced the back of Ariel too so that the entire cake top was one thickness.

The other one I did was just Ariel. My thought was that if the cake top one didn't work, I would still have a back-up of just Ariel. Then, I could ice the top as usual, smooth it, and then pop on the FBCT. I'm hoping that my first method of using the entire cake top will work, and I won't have to use this one. But I have it if I need it.

chasebrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasebrad Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:15am
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesOnly

I would love to do a FBCT but I don't understand how exactly it is done. I have looked at the tutorial on this site, but maybe I am too dense, but when you are spreading the back of the transfer, it also says to gently press to make sure the corners and everything is filled and it smooth. But how do you make sure not to blend the colors? Does this make any sense to any one?

When I do my FBCT I will do the design and then freeze for a bit and then use a spatula to place the background icing on. The design colors are frozen and won't smear.
Good luck! FBCT can be sooo much fun when you get a good design. Keep it simple for your first attempt, that might reduce any frustration or anxiety you might have.
I have one cake posted here and then you can see more FBCT cakes on my own website!
Happy Freezing!

tygre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tygre Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #19 of 32

I really like the FBCT recipe from here at CC. The only thing I do slightly different from the article is after doing the outline, I pop it in the freezer for 10 minutes or so to firm it up then do the filling in, it just seems to work better for me. The guitar and the pirate flag in my photos are FBCT, tho the guitar strings did get a little messed up in the fill in process

Mickeebabe Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #20 of 32

Since you frosted your cake in blue, did you put blue on the back of your Buzz Lightyear FBCT?

Thanks

Do you guys and girls use wax paper or parchment paper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasebrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesOnly

When I do my FBCT I will do the design and then freeze for a bit and then use a spatula to place the background icing on. The design colors are frozen and won't smear.
Good luck! FBCT can be sooo much fun when you get a good design. Keep it simple for your first attempt, that might reduce any frustration or anxiety you might have.
I have one cake posted here and then you can see more FBCT cakes on my own website!

Happy Freezing!

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:29am
post #21 of 32

Do any of you have any problems getting all of the transfer off the wax paper?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcfi

Do any of you have any problems getting all of the transfer off the wax paper?

I had one FBCT (my third one - I always forget about that one!) where I had a hard time getting it off of the wax paper. I'm wondering now though if I used the 'correct side' of the paper. You know.....how one side is a it more slick ever so slightly.... Anyway, my first two I had absolutely no problem with.

Some people have stated that they've made FBCTs using sheet protectors or other clear plastic items like report covers purchased from office supply places or Walmart, Target, etc. in the office supply aisle. I haven't tried using them myself, but that might be a good option.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:22am
post #23 of 32

So let me see if I got this straight. You outline, then you put your colors basically over top what you just did? And you do that til the whole picture is done? One layer on an other? Is that the jest of it?

chasebrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasebrad Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:42pm
post #24 of 32

I ALWAYS use parchment paper....has always worked. If your design is sticking to the paper then you need to pop it back in the freezer. That's the key to getting it to the cake in one piece....QUICKLY....don't give it anytime to start coming to room temperature while it is still on the paper. Get it on the cake and then after it comes to room temp, and the icing has set....then you can smooth or fill in gaps. My second transfer I tried to smooth before it had "crusted" and I ended up with a lot of it on my paper towel. I was still able to salvage it.
LL

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:44pm
post #25 of 32

Chasebrad, your Spidey looks great! You really made that FBCT seemless!

CakesOnly, yes, you're working in layers, but just remember the first thing you do is your outline and after that the 'layers' begin working with the front/foremost and each successive layer goes back further until the last layer is the background. Hope that makes sense.

Have you ever worked with chocolate molds? It's the same principal when you use color in the molds and the last thing you do is fill the entire mold with chocolate.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm
post #26 of 32

I did my first FBCT a few days ago and I think it came out ok but it had a lot of air pockets in it when I flipped it over...How do you get rid of those?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #27 of 32

bakerliz,

Try making your FBCT on plexiglass - tape your picture to the countertop, put the plexiglass over that (not taped, of course), tape your wax/parchment paper to the plexiglass, and get started. Then, while you are doing the picture, you can peek underneath the plexiglass to see if there are any wrinkles, gaps, etc. Just be sure that you carefully lay the plexiglass back down on the picture you taped to the counter, so it lines up perfectly and you can keep going. That will help you find out where the wrinkles are before you freeze the transfer and then have it turn up on your cake. I still had some wrinkles in mine, but that was due to inexperience.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm
post #28 of 32

FYI: I also use glass from old 8X10 picture frames, you just need to tape the edges with some masking tape. Got them all over my studio for a variety of sugar paste projects.

txangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txangel Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:51pm
post #29 of 32

Have any of you had trouble with the colors bleeding once the FBCT thaws on the cake? I'm doing my first this weekend and I just want to make sure I cover all of my bases. Thanks!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:24pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by txangel

Have any of you had trouble with the colors bleeding once the FBCT thaws on the cake? I'm doing my first this weekend and I just want to make sure I cover all of my bases. Thanks!

As I fill in my outlines with colored bc, I try to go back and gently press the bc down with an offset spatula so that it eliminates many air bubbles and the "wormy" look of having been piped in. As long as you're gentle and using a good bc recipe, and your bc is set (you left it in the freezer long enough), it shouldn't smear or bleed. At least I haven't had that problem. Since you're using bc and not royal icing, it doesn't bleed, in my experience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%