What's The Best Fondant To Use?

Decorating By JayRaye Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm by JayRaye

JayRaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayRaye Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 6

I want to use fondant for my daughters cake this month. However, I never used fondant for guest before and I would hate to do a lot of work just for people to either peal it off or not eat the cake at all. What do you suggest as the best tasting fondant that our guest will enjoy? All input is greatly appreciated along with recipes of how to make it.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to Cake Central. Most any fondant is good, with the exception of Wilton. Most find it doesn't taste that good, although it it easy to work with.

There are several recipes in the recipe section. They are all quite similar. Just be careful not to add all the powdered sugar listed in the recipe. Your batch may not require that exact amount. You can always sift over a bit more, if it is sticky, but it is hard to fix if you add too much.

As for buying it, Chocopan is partly white chocolate and is particularly tasty. Satin Ice, Pettenice, Albert Ulster, whatever you can find work.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 6

IMO Chocopan is the best tasting and I've tasted all of them. I've never had anyone peel it off and everyone says they love the taste of it. I believe Global Sugar Art has it on sale right now.

eyeofhorus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eyeofhorus Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 6

i perfer to make my own...mmf. but to purchurse i like satin ice.
stay away from wilton. no taste . i have never used chocopan. but going to give it a try. im always afraid it wont hold up in warm weather,being choc. and fond mixture.
good luck with your choice.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 6

Personally, I like Michele Foster's fondant. It tastes good and is easy to use. It also keeps well at room temperature and even better in the freezer.

You can also personalize the flavor by substituting coffee creamers for the milk, or even water if you want to keep it super simple.

I have attached the link to it. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

HTH

Michele (Foster) icon_smile.gif

JayRaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayRaye Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate it! I've only ever used Wilton. Hence the worry, apparently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%