summernoelle Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #91 of 131

OK, that makes sense. Thanks Brandi!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm
post #92 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlis

I just hate to think of this handsome guy sitting there with 4 tiers of luscious White Chocolate Cake with Raspberry filling and a fork.

Handsome?!? Nice?!? Single?!? Can afford a huge wedding?!?

What's his number? I'll help him eat the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

edited to add: I'm not sure which sounds better - him, or the cake!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #93 of 131

LOLOL! I know...he needs a cheering up committee! LOL! WE ARE HORRIBLE PEOPLE...WE ARE HORRIBLE PEOPLE... I keep repeating it, but there is no contrition!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #94 of 131

I know what has happened!! The groom has just come to his senses and have realized he is madly in love with the wedding cake baker!! Oh, I can see a Hollywood movie being made. icon_biggrin.gif

iamlis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #95 of 131

Here is MY email to him after his INITIAL email, then he responded back with the last email I had previously posted...GOD THIS IS GETTING CONFUSING!

xxx,

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry this is happening to you guys! Let me ask you this...are you at all considering rescheduling? I have honestly never had this happen before, so I am not sure what to do, I could transfer it as a credit to a future date. I would have a hard time offering a refund as we have turned down several brides for this hot date, and would be unable at this late date to secure another. I am NOT AT ALL complaining, I just want you to see my side, we have ordered everything and have extra staff on hand to accommodate this crazy weekend. I donât want to make this difficult at all for you two; I just need to find out if you guys are at all open to rescheduling within the next year?

Thanks and again, I am so sorry!

Melissa Thompson Earl

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #96 of 131

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You know what would be thigh-slappin' hilarious???

If she didn't cancel...

'cause she found another groom!!

Okay, so it wouldn't be hilarious for everyone...

she may still be expecting a cake for HER reception...

I'm sorry, I really was thinking poor guy...then, one thing led to another...and I was crackin' myself up.

iamlis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #97 of 131

My husband and 2 year old would probably shoot him! LOL! Well, maybe just my husband!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #98 of 131

as for a contract and names on it....

there is a little matter of "&"(and) and/or "or"

I'm not sure about all states...

Jane Smith "and" John Doe...both need to cancel...

Jane Smith "or" John Doe...either can cancel..

or is that just with banks and financial institutions?

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #99 of 131

Melissa, on another note CONGRATS! they chose the best in town for thier wedding and you were who they chose for thier cake.

That is awesome, good for you and your business. You can hold your head high and know you are an elite cake maker.

iamlis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #100 of 131

OMG! Ok, just got off the phone with the florist, oh sorry "Floral Designer" icon_smile.gif She said they gave her back PART of her $, not the deposit, and covered the cost of the flowers that were ordered. But florist specifically asked, do you want us to keep your wedding order on file for the future, and bride maybe!?? YIKES! Florist told me, she filed it in the trash after that response! She said bride mentioned nothing of an illness, just said, WEDDINGS off. My opinion of bride is that she is a successful 30 something, and just seemed nice, but independent. Made her own money, was good at whatever she did, and didn't really need someone else, that is what you would think if you met her, very independent. NOW I need to think of an email to her sad groom to respond.

iamlis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #101 of 131

Hey, yeah, KUDOS to me icon_smile.gif Just kidding, at this point I wish they had gone with someone else, honestly, this week of all weeks is the worst time this could happen, I am more busy than I can say. I better get back in the kitchen and make some butter cream...I hope Indydebi will sign on soon and tell me if this has happened to her, and what her policy is...I just really appreciate all your feedback, this morning I was on the verge of tears! Now I am cracking up, it is sad though the situation and I am trying to just be respectful. THANKS GUYS!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #102 of 131

Ooooh. This is so juicy, I can't stay away! I keep checking this post between completing my cake tasks!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:55pm
post #103 of 131

I have too much work to do for my real job to keep reading this. icon_biggrin.gif But this is getting JUICY! I know you said he is a sweet guy, but kind of strange she (the one that paid) has not called you yet. I haven't been married but I would call the business that I am spending the most money first and go down the line. Not sure how much florist cost, maybe the flowers cost more than the cake.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #104 of 131

Okay, if the to be Bride paid, she should be contacted about the not to be Groom's request. As far as a running credit-that is way too much paperwork. If he can pick one up, bake him a smaller version of the cake and be done with it.
I have heard the I am too sick/in the hospital my kid did this excuse before. He is just really embarrassed and doesn't want to realize that she got tired of carrying his tab. Cut it off, clean and simple.

iamlis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #105 of 131

After our chat on Monday, I asked the florist to call ME BACK after she spoke with them, today the florist just said, THE bride said SHE would call me back immediately, then later that night I got the EMAIL, no call from her, so my thinking is that the flowers where her thing and the cake was his thing. I know he paid for the venue (as when I called them last week to discuss the cake table-Groom has been so worried about the cake table being wobbly LOL! The entire order was in his name and nothing had her name on it). SO I bet it had been a 50/50 thing, I am thinking he's out alot more than her. I did get to here about her dress, it was a gold/ivory gown, sounded gorgeous...hope it stores well icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #106 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

HOLD ON! BACK THIS TRAIN UP

if your contract is with the bride and you haven't heard from her then technically you don't have a cancelation on your hands b/c she hasn't canceled.

you really need to talk to that bride

I, too, think no matter what the bride needs to be contacted. Maybe you can reach her through the credit card company's info., or if you can get it through the florist or another vendor, in case she is indeed "back home" and not reachable through your own info.

But as for what leannewinslow said, if this couple was present (both the bride-to-be and groom-to-be) at the initial booking and now this has come from the groom-to-be (that there will not be a wedding), how on earth do you think a wedding will be taking place? lol Obviously the groom will not be present no matter what the actual circumstances. I think the best thing to do is contact the former bride-to-be if she signed the contract and even if she didn't if her name is on the AmEx card that was used to pay for the cake. (Again, I realize that just because a certain card w/ a certain name is used it doesn't realistically mean that that person is paying, but it does legally make that person responsible).

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:07pm
post #107 of 131

Melissa,

I've got the solution to your problem. I'll take one for the team (since I'm in KC area) and marry this kind, handsome stranger. It's the least I can do for a fellow CC'er.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #108 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

Okay, if the to be Bride paid, she should be contacted about the not to be Groom's request. As far as a running credit-that is way too much paperwork. If he can pick one up, bake him a smaller version of the cake and be done with it.
I have heard the I am too sick/in the hospital my kid did this excuse before. He is just really embarrassed and doesn't want to realize that she got tired of carrying his tab. Cut it off, clean and simple.

Me too. I got "my father died" a year ago, the day she was suppossed to get the cake. Kept giving excuses, and of course never paid. I was out like $70. Sounds mean, but I think it was a lie.

iamlis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #109 of 131

LOL ccr03! I can always count on CC'rs to help! LOL! I am pretty much decided that, you get the cake you paid for. I JUST HAVE TO STOP IMAGINING HIM GAINING 500#, thats the part, after I deliver that has me all sad!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #110 of 131

IMHO, you NEED to speak to the bride to see what her stance is. If SHE cancels, you need to get it in writing, whatever terms the THREE of you come to.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #111 of 131

Hi Melissa,
If you had not followed up with the florist, would you even know that there was a problem? I got the impression that neither the Bride nor the Groom had the courtesy to contact you on their own, but instead you were emailed after you had spoken with the florist. Without that floral confirmation, could you have arrived with the cake at an empty venue, left standing there with a cake?

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #112 of 131

I reallyreallyREALLY want to stress the importance of being so very careful about all of the legalities here. Doing a good deed could get you in a heap of trouble.

I must have missed who signed the contract. Once married, the two are legally one. Before marriage, they are not interchangeable. I would hate to have a spiteful bride discover that the money didn't just go to waste, but that her ex-fiance got to enjoy lots of cake she paid for...and then she decides to make a big fuss about it and take you to court.

You know?

It is one thing to be kind hearted and try to work with them. It is another to do something that is going to cause everyone grief eventually.

People in the wedding business deal with canceled weddings from time to time. That's always sad, isn't it? But that is why you make a contract you think is fair and both parties agree to it. The groom may well be sweet and sincere and he may need and deserve your compassion. But, he may be a big con artist too. Can you really know?

If it were me, and I thought I needed to do something helpful here, I would think about giving them until X date to reschedule the cake, WITH a fee attached to that (substantial). Or, I would offer to complete the cake as contracted. Or I would allow the legal person in the contract to contract 2 or 3 other cakes (probably 2) worth less than the original amount, by X date.

Those are my thoughts anyway. icon_smile.gif

BrandisBaked Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #113 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Melissa,

I've got the solution to your problem. I'll take one for the team (since I'm in KC area) and marry this kind, handsome stranger. It's the least I can do for a fellow CC'er.

Hey now! I called dibs!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #114 of 131
Quote:

Melissa,

Think you have to stand in line behind iamlis and BrandisBaker. lol

Seems they wouldn't mind consoling him, helping his heart to mend and helping him eat his delicious wedding cake for one.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well, since the wedding cake seems to have been "his deal", I would prob. just make him the cake, but not as elaborate and leave it at that. He gets his cake, you fulfilled the contract, Melissa, and it's out of the way. It's a shame that it all happened and that you and the other vendors were involved in this, their personal fiasco. I realize that this is your business, but no matter what, it's still great (IMHO) that you're thinking of him as a fellow human being with feelings and feel sympathy for him.

As long as you don't lose money (and as long as you keep some extra, or even all of it), no matter what you decide I think you'll fare well with him as far as future business is concerned. Even if you don't offer any refund or credit whatsoever, partial or otherwise, it seems that he understands that there's a contract in place and that if you say he's entitled to nothing but the cake, than that's fine. It's sweet of you to think of him and his feelings. Do what your head and heart tell you are right, as long as you don't hurt yourself/business in the process.

Good luck.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm
post #115 of 131
Quote:
Quote:

ccr03 wrote:
Melissa,

Hey now! I called dibs!

okay, but see Brandi, I'm in the area - and we all know long-distance relationships don't work icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

ccr03 wrote:
Melissa,

Think you have to stand in line behind iamlis and BrandisBaker. lol

And as for iamlis - she can't be mixing business with pleasure! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Can you tell I'm in a giddy (had my afternoon chocolate) mood? icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #116 of 131

Gee, if I'd stop being interrupted by my three kids (all taking turns, it seems (for once)), then I'd be able to type my posts quickly and wouldn't have a bunch of other people's getting in front of mine - with MY answers before I even say/type them! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

What are you people all mind readers, or something?! icon_lol.gif

iamlis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #117 of 131

No, NO, no! I can't console him-my husband would kill me icon_smile.gif Then we'd have a REAL fiasco! I think he is a sweet guy, and it is a shame that this guy who has been so nice and professional with me gets jilted, but I am not in the comfort line...BUT if I get to do a SECOND wedding cake for this guy in the near future, I would laugh my head off!

BrandisBaked Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #118 of 131
Quote:

okay, but see Brandi, I'm in the area - and we all know long-distance relationships don't work icon_lol.gif

Might work better than his previous one. icon_smile.gif

(Oh, that was harsh. I deserve a spanking.)

iamlis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm
post #119 of 131

Oh Brandi from Boise, you are funny!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #120 of 131

Oops, sorry iamlis; didn't know you were married. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%