Source For Longer Cake Foil?

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 8 Jun 2008 , 12:27am by KoryAK

wrightway777 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have a source for longer cake foil? I need silver to cover an 18in cake drum (thats 3/4 in thick). Wilton's is not long enough (at 20in) to securely cover it. At this time of year I dont think I can come by any local silver foiled wrapping paper...plus I dont have a good local source for floral paper which is about around 20in anyway. Thanks to all that can respond. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
patrincia Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 8

If you don't find what you're looking for, maybe you could cut a long 1.5"- 2" strip of the foil and glue that around the circumference of your base (apply so that the foil wraps a bit on the top and bottom of the base)... then cut an 18" circle of foil and glue it on the top of the board. I think that's the way they cover cake drums.

wrightway777 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:28am
post #3 of 8

Patrincia - I havent done that before...good info to keep in mind. I guess I could cover the whole drum in fondant too. I was hoping to get as much done in advance since I have TONS of fondant work to do for a Wedding this month (3 tiered cake plus a grooms cake with fake styro-surprise cake covering the grooms for an "unveiling").

How far in advance has anyone covered their drums in fondant?

MaisieBake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:46am
post #4 of 8

Try Pfeil and Holing (cakedeco.com) for the foil.

ibmoser Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 8

Drums can be covered well in advance - just do any embossing you may want while it is still soft. Also, stack carefully if necessary after they have dried with cushioning between the layers so you won't get marks or impressions on them.

wrightway777 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 8

thanks MasieBake - they have some neat foil colors I have never seen before. Alas they are only 20"
I like that site - their brochure section has incredibly clear pics. thanks for the info!

ibmoser - thanks too for the info-good to know

wrightway777 Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 8

great ideas so far...any others out there on longer cake foil or foiled wrapping paper?

KoryAK Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8

Sorry, no help here. I just did a big board this week and used 2 pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%