Feathers??

Decorating By Mandica12182 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm by Mandica12182

Mandica12182 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 8

One of the many cakes I have to do next weekend envolves peacock feathers. she wants them standing up and kinda fanned out to one side?? How can I accomplish this look?? I know I can't just stick the feathers in the cake, lol. althought that'd be a really easy fix!! She told me to use white roses to cover up any supports I needed to use to accomplish this. My thought was make a rose out of fondant, but make the base of it really too thick and tall...then sticking the ends of the feathers in there....making it (the base of the rose) level and let ot fry that way.

Any better ideas??

7 replies
FromScratch Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 8

You could dip the end feather in white chocolate and insert it into a drinking straw then dip the whole shebang into a clean batch of white chocolate and that could go into the cake. Honestly though even the thought of the feather being near the cake like that isn't appealing to me. There's no way to know if it's really clean.

FromScratch Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 8

You could also wrap a floral wire to the end of the feather with foral tape and dip that in the chocolate.

sweetcravings Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 8

My immediate thought was just wrap the ends of the feathers with floral tape or saran wrap. Then slip them into wide drinking straws, then into the cake. That way there would be no contact with the actual feather.

Mandica12182 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 8

Gah.....thanks ladies!!! I never thought about covering the ends and then being able to stick them in the cake....duh!!! Thanks Thanks Thanks!!

Mandica12182 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 8

oh, and jkalman..my thoughts exactly!! I was thinking eww....glad I'm not eating that cake!!!

FromScratch Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 8

No problem! How's it all going?? Losing your mind yet?? icon_wink.gif It's a good losing your mind though. You'll deserve a nice vacation after this. Tell them theyhave to take you on the honeymoon.. icon_lol.gif

Mandica12182 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 8

Well...I still have another order for this week to finish up, I am thinking this weekend I'll be baking my arse off!! LOL
Seriously I am going to bake all day Sunday and finish up on Monday, then freeze them all. Then Tuesday I'm making a TON of buttercream and Wednesday I'll make the daisies I need....and make the lemon curd too...then Thursday and Friday is cake icing and filling and decorating like crazy!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%