Royal Icing For Cupcakes

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 2:08am by maimai16

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 10

I have seen a lot of cupcakes where the cake isn't all the way to the top of the cupcake, and a royal icing type is filled in the space above the cake to the top of the paper. Its really pretty looking. Does anyone know the recipe for this or how it is done?

9 replies
cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 10

I use a mixture of boiling water and icing sugar, add the water very slowly until you get a thick mixture. Drop a bit on the cupcake and pat it down smooth with your finger. If you make it too runny, it will just fall down the side of the paper, or even push the paper right off. I've done it lots of times now, but in the beginning it was trial and error. I find this is easier than royal icing and it doesn't set so hard.

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 10

I found a photo of some I did, the cupcakes with the hearts on them are done this way even though the cake reached the top of the paper. It looks even better if the cake is below the paper like you described but I couldn't find a photo of that.
LL

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 10

I've seen many cupcakes that use poured fondant in this way. My favorite recipe (so far, I've only used it on brownies) is the one from King Arthur Flours:

1 cup (5 ounces) white confectionery coating or white chocolate chips*
4 cups (1 pound) confectioner's sugar or glazing sugar
1/4 cup (2 3/4 ounces) light corn syrup
1/4 cup (2 ounces) hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
food coloring

In a saucepan set over low heat, or in the microwave, melt the white coating or chocolate, stirring until smooth. Sift the confectioners' or glazing sugar into a large bowl, and add the corn syrup and hot water, stirring till smooth. If you're using a mixer, set it on low speed so the icing doesn't become too aerated.

Add the melted coating to the sugar mixture, then add the vanilla and the coloring (if you're using it). If the mixture is too thick to pour, reheat it briefly over low heat, and stir in 1 to 3 tablespoons additional water. The mixture is easiest to work with, and pours smoothly, at about 100°F.

*I've also used cherry-flavored chips.

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 10

im so lucky icon_biggrin.gif this topic will come handy to me coz i'm going to make lots of cupcakes as wedding giveaways this month.

btw, Rincewind, i've read alot about poured fondant. all of it are requiring to have a candy thermometer... unfortunately, i dont have one icon_sad.gif so i have this dumb question to ask, is it ok to give it a go and make it without using one or i need to buy the thermometer?

Rincewind Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 10

I think you'd be okay without a candy thermometer, especially for cupcakes. If you were using it to cover petit fours, it might be worth getting thermometer- but even then, you could probably tell when it was the right consistency.

Good luck!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the recipe! I will give that a try!

maimai16 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 10

@Rincewind, any tips on how would i know if the consistency is right? icon_smile.gif

Rincewind Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

@Rincewind, any tips on how would i know if the consistency is right?

Well, it needs to be a bit thicker than say, a sugar glaze. It needs to pour smoothly. You can sort of stir it with a spatula to check how it drips down the blade. It will get thick pretty fast, so you need to watch it very closely.

When I used this recipe, I was covering brownies (petit-four style). I needed to have it just so, so I could cover the whole brownie evenly, so I did use a candy thermometer.

I think using it on top of a cupcake, you just need to make sure it's thick enough to pour smoothly. If it's too thin, it would spread too fast and it would probably be pretty sheer-looking.

Good luck!

maimai16 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #10 of 10

thanks! thats seems so easy to do... hope this would work well... thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%