How Do I Make The Numbers Like On The Top Of This Cake

Decorating By cakecrazy1129 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm by crisc23

cakecrazy1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy1129 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:13am
post #1 of 8

I am making this cake this weekend and was wondering what I should use to make the #1 on top like this cake has? I was thinking fondant but that wouldnt hold up very well. Maybe gumpaste?
LL

7 replies
jlo6024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlo6024 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:32am
post #2 of 8

Gumpaste....or 50/50. Give it a couple of days to dry though!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 8

I would use chocolate, I love using melted chocolate!

You could buy the pre-colored stuff and tint the fondant to be the same color. icon_smile.gif

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for posting this. I always wondered what those numbers were made of. How does it "attach" to the cake? I know if you use chocolate you can use a lolly stick, but what about 50/50?

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 8

You can use a lolly stick to attach 50/50 also, you would attach it with royal or candy (I think) or if it's thick enough, just stick it into the number... I would use a template and cut it out of 50/50 and let it dry on a flat surface for a couple of days... If I only needed the royal for a lolly and didn't have candy handy, I would just pipe a "glob" (for lack of a better word) of buttercream and just stand it up with that, it wouldn't be very sturdy that way, though.

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 8

You can use a lolly stick to attach 50/50 also, you would attach it with royal or candy (I think) or if it's thick enough, just stick it into the number... I would use a template and cut it out of 50/50 and let it dry on a flat surface for a couple of days... If I only needed the royal for a lolly and didn't have candy handy, I would just pipe a "glob" (for lack of a better word) of buttercream and just stand it up with that, it wouldn't be very sturdy that way, though.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you T-Bird! icon_biggrin.gif

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 8

I use these a ton. I use fondant mixed with a little tylose powder. I use Microsoft Word and print a template for the number/letter I want to use. Cut it out with an Xacto knife, roll my fondant to a number 2 or 3 on my pasta machine and cut around the template with the xacto knife.

I let it dry for a few days and attach a sucker stick to the back with royal icing. I let that dry for a day and put it in the cake.

www.smalltownspecialtycakes.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%