Unsure About Starting A Business

Business By kutabby Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm by kutabby

kutabby Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:52am
post #1 of 5

I have been making cakes for my family and friends for a couple years now. I get a little more ambitious w/ each one icon_smile.gif . My family always goes on and on about how good they look and taste. I have one cousin in particular who I have made several birthday cupcakes and cakes for her 3 daughters in exchange for hand-me-down clothes for my daughter. She insists that I have a cake business in my future. I'm not quite as confident. I love to bake, so I pay close attention to cakes and their decoration. I know that I am nowhere near the level of expertise that most businesses are at! Heck, I've only used fondant once and just to make some roses!!! I'm really still learning. I've taken the Wilton I course and do intend to take more classes. Anyway, this cousin has hired me to do desserts for a book club she is having in a few weeks as a way to introduce my work to her friends. I've got a list of things I'll be doing: cake balls, mini-cupcakes, sugar cookies, chocolates..
Anyways, here are some of my questions:
*Do I have to come up w/ my own recipes? Is it ethical to use someone else's recipe for profit? Such as the Cake Mix Dr.
*I'm not an Artist! Just a little creative. I'm scared to death that someone will want some cartoon character. I could probably master making some things w/ gumpaste, but I cannot freehand anything!
*Do I have to get licensed right away, or can I make sure that going through that process will be worth it?
I really do want to do this! I love to bake and decorate - w/ my 2 kids it's one of my few hobies that I can actually get done icon_smile.gif. I'm just nervous that I may not be good enough.
Thanks for your help!

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:08am
post #2 of 5

You can use any recipe you like, no problems.

You cannot legally copy cartoon characters for sale, so being able to freehand them wont matter.

In order to legally sell and advertise, you must be licensed. You can check the listings in the business forum for your state, or call your local health department for the rules in your state/city.

zubia Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:51am
post #3 of 5

Hi ,Tabby .
this is the link to where SweetieD made my day.
I donot do a lot of cakes ,its still a hobby ,but Iam getting orders none the less. Good luck ,every thing has to start some where.try different recipes and then select the ones you and your friends like .
Wishing you all the best

BigTexinWV Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 5

I would go to this web site.

They have a number for you to call, on how you can get licensed.

You can use other peopleâs recipes with no problem. Just don't claim that it is yours. Also if you change one thing in the recipe then it is now yours. So it is easy to use a recipe out of a book and tweak it to meet your needs.

As for not being an artist, you can always do FBCT or if maybe at some point buy a projector. That sounds like a minor problem. If a customer asks you to do something that you are not comfortable with, then tell them and offer suggestions that you can do! But don't be afraid to push your limits.

Good Luck!!!

kutabby Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much ladies! You're right, everyone starts somewhere icon_smile.gif I'm just going to stop stressing and have fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%