Popcorn

Decorating By tabitwhe Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 3:55pm by tabitwhe

tabitwhe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabitwhe Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:40am
post #1 of 24

How do you get the look of popcorn? I thought I saw somewhere it is with marshmallows and icing.

Can anyone help me? We have a movie party in a few weeks and I really want to make one for the kids.

Thanks in advance for your help.

23 replies
dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:48am
post #2 of 24

. . . usually done with mini marshmallows . . . cut an "X" on one end . . . and use some yellow coloring to achieve a buttered effect . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=67830

and here is one done very effectively with buttercream . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=38528

and I love the look of these . . . (but I would add some yellow) . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1186760

msamson9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msamson9 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:49am
post #3 of 24

I use small scissors and cut little snips (about 4 or 5) in the minature marshmallows and work it with my hands. Then add watered down yellow coloring with a paint brush. See my Popcorn Cake pic in my picture gallery.

CINDY1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CINDY1956 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:54am
post #4 of 24

or the Dollar Store has a circus section and it has candy- popcorn..I bought some to do a popcorn box cake, so it will stick out the lid.
just a thought

tabitwhe Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 24

Thanks everyone for the tips. I think I might can cut up marshmallows or just buy candy LOL

Cindy, I havent seen the candy popcorn at the Dollar Tree but there are several close to me so when I go to town I will check them out.

Thanks again for the tips.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 24

I used my small fondant flower cutter and cut out the flower portion and then put a dab or buttercream on top.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 24

Candy lady, can you elaborate a bit more one the cutter and method? I need to make a lot of popcorn and I would love a more simple method...

Are you talking the pink graduated size wilton ones? and what do you mean when you say cut out flower portion.... details, details.......thank you so much!

Julia

tabitwhe Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 24

I was wondering the same thing icon_smile.gif

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 24

i use mini marshmallows..

take scissors (like stated above) make a snip to make to sections, then I snip again on one of the section to get three parts..you can also snip bogth sides to have four parts..i then take a little petal dust in a warm yellow color put it in a baggie then put the marshmallows in it and shake.

tabitwhe Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 24

I like that idea to.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 24

got the idea from CakeCentral for an Oscar party:
rolled little balls of white fondant. Then I rolled out some more fondant flat. I cut out a bunch of the little flowers from the Wilton plunge cutter set and then plunged them into the balls of fondant. The plunger pushed into the ball and they stayed together that way. Then we misted the whole thing yellow food colouring mixed with corn syrup and warm water. I didn't make tonnes of popcorn, I left the hump on the cake so that it was raised in the middle. (I just sprayed mine with wilton yellow spray ever so lightly) Pat

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 24

Here is popcorn cupcakes I did in buttercream with a drop flower tip
LL

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 24

I used mini marshamallows and BC. I snipped the ends 4 times or so and then squished them. You can also squish a few together for bigger kernels. It was pretty quick, then go in and add yellow and brwon food coloring. I will try to add my pic here but if that doesn't work here is the link!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1184285.html
LL

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:07pm
post #14 of 24

I just used REAL popped popcorn...... Drizzled it with white candy melts, and it just made an extra treat for the kids..... they LOVED it ! And it was SOOO quick and easy !

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #15 of 24

dee-lite, what did you use for your cupcake popcorn holders? So cute!

marjiw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjiw Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #16 of 24

If you use real popcorn you can melt white chocolate let it cool a bit put it in a bag and shake up the popcorn in it. It would taste great on a cake and is a fabulous popcorn treat!

notsoperfectcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notsoperfectcakes Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:13am
post #17 of 24

I have used real popcorn. I even recently used it on cookies shaped as a popcorn bag and was able to shrink wrap them!!! Good Luck

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #18 of 24

I used the fondant ball and flower method with the plunge cutter. I left pretty good instructions under my picture I think. There weren't any pictures of popcorn cakes here when I made mine so I had to fly by the seat of my pants. I think the marshmallow method might be easier.

Suzanne
LL

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #19 of 24

I did it with fondant, that I dusted with Daffodil Yellow petal dust.
LL

tabitwhe Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #20 of 24

All these sound like great ideas.

And thanks for sharing the pictures.

I think the real popcorn with white chocolate would taste really good YUMMY!

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #21 of 24

GrandmaG-I used white paper cups(not waxy ones) and striped them with a red marker using a ruler along the lip to keep lines straight ,then cut them in half to height of ccake ..My 9 year old made popcorn stickers on microsoft word( 'cuz I can't), Hee Hee and that's about it. Glad you like them !

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:25am
post #22 of 24

I did a popcorn tub for my MIL who loves going to the movies and used real caramel popcorn, for me is better because you can actually eat it. I got it from CVS but make sure you get plain caramel popcorn no the one with nuts! icon_smile.gif

erinb250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinb250 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #23 of 24

my son wants pop corn cup cakes for his class on his birthday, what did you use for the popcorn cups and where did you get them

tabitwhe Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:55pm
post #24 of 24

I ended up making 1 big "box" of popcorn and used red & white fondant for the box. & marshmellows & yellow spray icing for the popcorn. It wasn't perfect but the kids loved it.

I bet you could find red & white striped cupcake papers for the cups.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%