Mixing Bowl Cake

Decorating By neiceycragg Updated 8 Jun 2008 , 4:03am by neiceycragg

neiceycragg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neiceycragg Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:47am
post #1 of 11

I want to make a monkey cake for my sons birthday, and was hoping to make the head by making the cake in a mixing bowl. What temperature do I cook the cake and for how long? Is glass better than the metal bowls?
I am open to other suggestions as well. I really dont want to use a cake pan shaped like a monkeys head, i wanted to do something a little different.

The round cake is supposed to be the monkeys head and then I was going to use a cupcake cut in half for the ears. Has anyone else done this?

10 replies
gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:57am
post #2 of 11

Have you seen those ball shaped pans? I would think the baking temp & time should be about the same.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:05am
post #3 of 11

What about using the stand up cuddly teddy bear pan? You could carve it to be more monkey-like.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:23am
post #4 of 11
sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:23am
post #5 of 11

I made a monkey cake once, I made the one called The Monkeys in the Middle from the wilton website. It was fun, challenging and the client I made if for still talks about it years later. It used the mini teddybear stand up cake pan. I've also baked in enamel bowls to get a round shape but I lowered the temp 25 degrees and greased and floured the pan.

neiceycragg Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:05am
post #6 of 11

yahooooo thats exactly what i want is the monkey picture that was posted. thank you.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:53am
post #7 of 11

I've baked in a typical Pyrex glass bowl at 325 degrees (for the hamburger cake in my photos). Pyrex is oven safe, even at higher temps, but I didn't want to overbake the edges, so I baked it at 325. Worked great!

neiceycragg Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #8 of 11

did you use a boxed mix or a homemade cake? I dont want to make the banana cake that martha stewart used. Did you spray the sides of the bowl and flour?

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:31am
post #9 of 11

I used a doctored cake mix. And yes, I greased and floured the bowl.

neiceycragg Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:20am
post #10 of 11

thank you very much, i cant wait to make it tomorrow.

neiceycragg Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 4:03am
post #11 of 11

i made the cake and it turned out pretty well except i had a really hard time keeping the ears on. The cupcakes were way too soft and just crumbled when i put them on the cake. my hubby finally went to the store and bought other cupcakes that weren't so soft. kinda funny now, but not when i was making it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%