Mmf Recipe - How Much Does It Make????

Baking By ncunnin1 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm by ncunnin1

ncunnin1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncunnin1 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:21am
post #1 of 5

I found a MMF recipe submitted by prettytoya and the ingredients are:

16 oz white marshmallows
2 tb water
2 lb icing sugar (approx. 8 cups confectioners' or powdered sugar)

The recipe doesn't list how much fondant this makes. I'm new to working with fondant and really need to know how much cake this will cover so I know how much I'll need to make. I'll be making a baby shower cake this weekend, so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
shanacoleman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanacoleman Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 5

I used this recipe and had plenty to cover a 2 layer(cut to make 4) cake and make stripe accents and bow. Not sure how much in weight...didn't weigh it. Just prayed it was enough. I'm like you new to fondant. Good luck!

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:32am
post #3 of 5

The WMI at my Michael's gave me a similar recipe and when I asked how much it made and she said "3 lbs", I thought, "Duh! 1lb of marshmallows plus 2lbs of sugar!". Makes sense, huh? If you need to calculate how much fondant it will take to cover your cake, try http://www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:44am
post #4 of 5

My recipe only calls for a 10.5 ounce bag of marshmallows, 2 lbs of powdered sugar and 5 tbls of water. I also add flavoring from time to time.

I can usually cover 2 tiers of a wedding cake with one batch. It really depends on how thick you roll it. Don't forget to massage some shortening into it to make it easier to work with. When you do this, it is less likely to crack on you.

I covered an 8" and a 6" tier and had about 1/4th of the batch left over on the last cake I made. It was also for a baby shower.

Good luck!!!

ncunnin1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncunnin1 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes, the 3 pounds = 2 pounds of sugar plus 1 pound of marshmellows does make sense!! icon_smile.gif

I will try making 2 batches just "in case".

I appreciate all the responces. Wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%