How To Make The Top Look Like A Lid On A Present Cake?

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 4:22am by sweetcakes

aprilcake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:45am
post #1 of 3

I am making a Tiffany box cake this week and I would like the top edge to have the look like its the rim of the lid going around...how do I do that?

THANKS!

2 replies
sugarshack Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:51am
post #2 of 3

HERE IS HOW I DO MINE:

The box tops were made using 5 separate panels. I rolled out the fondant (with Tylose added) on a highly cornstarch dusted plywood and cut the pieces to rough size the day before. I let them dry out on the plywood for 48 hours. The day when I was doing the cake; I covered the square cakes with fondant the regular way. Then I took the dry, firm ( but still fragile) panels I had cut and trimmed them with my exacto knife to fit the exact size I needed to fit the cake tops. I attached them with dabs of melted candy melts. The corners were boosted up (under the top panel) with little gobs of fondant, since square fondant covered
cakes tend to round down and sag just a little). After I was done, any little gaps in the lids I spackled with matching BC.

sweetcakes Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:22am
post #3 of 3

if your doing it in buttercream ice the sides and get them smooth, then ice the topp and get that smooth then put the same icing in a bag with the basketweave tip, bigger then #48, dont know the number but its about an inch. ice the sides around the top edge and blend the icing into the top icing. level out the bottom edges of the lid with a straight edge and a paper towel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%