Need Advice On How To Make This Cake.

Decorating By chrissy410 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 2:35pm by RuralNV

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #1 of 9

I am making this cake for a wedding on June 28th. I'm not sure where the bride got the picture from and I've looked and looked for a cake similar and can't find one. I need some advice on how to make all of the dots. I hope you can see this picture. All of those arches are all made out of dots. I guess I want to know if I should make the dots with pearl dragees or piping the dots. My only worry about my piping is my dots never turn out round. When I pull the icing bag away, the icing always leaves a point. I'm sure the dragees would look elegant but I worry that they would all fall off. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
LL

8 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:12am
post #2 of 9

why not dots with pearl centers?

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:19am
post #3 of 9

Maybe try to stop squeezing the bag before you pull away... try a little bit thinner consistancy icing or add a little piping gel, also you just "pat" the little peak down with your finger. I had a similar problem, but found that, for me, if I release the pressure and kind of swirl the tip before pulling away it stopped me from making peaks.

Or you could maybe premake them all of color flow dots, very time consuming, but just another suggestion.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:26am
post #4 of 9

If you release pressure then kind of scrape off the top of the dot w/ the decorating tip it won't have a point---try a few. If you still get peaks you can use a finger dipped in cornstarch or powdered sugar & pat them down.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:29am
post #5 of 9

T-bird, that's exactly what I do! I stop squeezing then do a little swirl with the tip so my dots don't look like mini chocolate chips.

Does the bride want a fake cake? You could always crazy glue the dragees to make sure they dont fall off! icon_biggrin.gificon_confused.gif Sorry, couldn't resist. icon_wink.gif

Nette2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nette2007 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #6 of 9

I always use a paintbrush to smooth the peak...works for me once the buttercream crusts.

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:40am
post #7 of 9

I agree with 'patting' either with your finger after it's crusted or cover with a viva paper towel and pat. HTH

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:29am
post #8 of 9

so I guess I'll try the "patting" method. I am going to make a birthday cake this weekend and I'll make little dots on it just to practice. I think it would probably be easier than trying to put all those little dragees on it. Elvisb I wish I could have a fake cake. I'm extremely nervous about this cake. It is my gift to the bride and groom. I even bought sugarshacks dvd's (buttercream and stacking) so I could have more of a tutorial. Thanks so much for all the great advice!

RuralNV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuralNV Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 9

I saw a similar design in the galleries and the decorator said she used a meringue type icing to do the dots because it doesn't leave a peak. Sure wish I had paid attention to where I read that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%