Need Help W/ Fruit Filling Info...

Decorating By luv2cake Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 7:10pm by luv2cake

luv2cake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:26am
post #1 of 10

I have a bride who is wanting to come for a tasting on Thursday. She is wanting to taste the raspberry and apricot fillings. I would normally go and purchase the fillings in the bag at my cake supply store, but I may not have time to get there.

Can I use raspberry and apricot jam??? Will it be an okay substitute?
She wants to taste my lemon cake w/ raspberry filling and white cake w/ apricot filling. Can I just put it right on there or should I mix it wil buttercream?

I'm not used to using the fruit fillings. Most people usually just order buttercream.

Any input or opinions are certainly welcome.

9 replies
luv2cake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 10

Please, oh please, someone please help.

TexasSugar Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #3 of 10

Because I do not have a local cake store and I don't want to deal with shipping, I have always used preserves/jams/jellies as my fruit fillings. I prefer to do my straight, but you can mix them with buttercream for a more creamy filling. The two times I have tried though (with strawberry and raspberry) I didn't like the color or consitancy of the filling.

imagine76 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:52am
post #4 of 10

i've had pretty good luck both ways -straight preserves and mixed with buttercream. just start by adding a little butter cream and keep tasting until it's good. try it out, you might like it! -oh! when i use strawberry preserves i give it a whirl in my mini food processor to break up the big hunks. you could just fish 'em out though.

strawberry0121 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:54am
post #5 of 10

I usually use jams. I don't skimp on them, either. I get a good brand that is tried and true. One of my favorite brands is Trappist (I think thats right). Their jams are so good!

I use a layer of BC, then a dam and the filling. It keeps the jam from soaking into the cake and is pretty when it is cut in to.

Mandica12182 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:54am
post #6 of 10

A lot of people will just use jsams. i have tried the strawberry before and thought it was too sweet, but, it can be used.

Another thing I have used in a pinch is the cans of pie some stores you can find a ton of different varieties..I don't know about Apricot but you may be able to find raspberry.

strawberry0121 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:58am
post #7 of 10

Oh, and I like to use the all fruit brands, too. That helps them from being too sweet.

luv2cake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 10

Good tips. Thanks so much.

If I get to make her cake, I would like to use those other fillings that I was talking about, but this helps me out in a pinch.

Thanks everyone!

pastrylady Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 10

My only suggestion is that if she tastes the preserves at the consultation and orders a cake from you, that's probably what you should use to make her cake....unless the fruit fillings you normally use taste very similar to the preserves.

luv2cake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 10

Good point. If she likes what she tastes, then I should just stick with that.

I actually bought the sugar-free or All Fruit preserves. That way when I add a little buttercream to it, it hopefully won't be too sweet. That's my hope anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%