Any Cake Recipe For Someone With Diabetes And Celiac Disease

Baking By Melan Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm by penguinprincess

Melan Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #1 of 10

Any cake(or dessert for that matter) with no sugar or gluten? Or am I up the creek?

9 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:37am
post #2 of 10

I bake gluten free aall the time, but prefer GF mixes for cakes so I can't help there. As for sugar, there is this stuff called Date Sugar, it is made from dried dates, and is finely crushed. It registers low on the glycemic index so it is generally considered safe for diabetics. If you can't find that you can try Agave nectar. /both of these are sweeter than sugar, so you need to use less than what the recipe calls for. If you decide to try a GF recipe, I recommend using Tom Sawyer GF flour. It doesn't have the funky tast that Bob's Red Mill has, and the Xanathan Gum is already added. One more thing, GF recipes require more baking powder than a regular recipe, I usually increase it by 1 or 2 tsp. Good Luck!

Jayde Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 10

Do you want cake mixes? Because you can buy them from any grocery store or health foods store. Or would you prefer from scratch recipes?

foxymomma521 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 10

I should mention that if the person is a Celiac and not just gluten sensitive, it is safer to use new cake pans, bowls etc. You can never be too careful.

Jayde Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 10

I have celiac disease. I dont use specific pans for me, and different ones for my kids and husband. I do use bleach however. I wash my pans with hot soapy water, and then rinse them with boiled water. Then I dip them in a bleach/water solution, and then rinse again with the boiling water, after I bake something that isnt celiac friendly in them.

Like i said most grocery and health food store have the GF (gluten free) mixes but they are quite expensive. Like $6.79 for a cake mix that doesnt even fill up an 8-inch pan.

I have several books that have recipes for cakes, and pies from scratch. Let me know what you are looking for specifically, and I can send it to you. Or if you would just rather have the name of the book that works too.

foxymomma521 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I have celiac disease. I dont use specific pans for me, and different ones for my kids and husband. I do use bleach however. I wash my pans with hot soapy water, and then rinse them with boiled water. Then I dip them in a bleach/water solution, and then rinse again with the boiling water, after I bake something that isnt celiac friendly in them.

Like i said most grocery and health food store have the GF (gluten free) mixes but they are quite expensive. Like $6.79 for a cake mix that doesnt even fill up an 8-inch pan.

I have several books that have recipes for cakes, and pies from scratch. Let me know what you are looking for specifically, and I can send it to you. Or if you would just rather have the name of the book that works too.

Thanks for sharing this! I've been buying separate cake pans icon_cry.gif

Jayde Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 10

You are welcome icon_smile.gif . I try to make my life as normal as possible, I have 2 young kids, and a husband. I dont think its fair or even nutritionally good for them to have to conform to my diet. I make the regular things for them all the time. I have have to be careful and extra vigilant, but it works.

penguinprincess Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:10am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Would you mind sharing the name of a book you recommend for those sho have celiac. My Brother in Law's wife has celiac and it would be nice to know a recipe or 2 that she would be able to eat.

Jayde Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 10

The Wheat Free-Gluten Free Dessert Cookbook by Connie Sarros

Gluten-Free Baking: More Than 125 Recipes for Delectable Sweets by Rebecca Reilly

Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods by Betty Hagman

I think I have one more at home, I will have to check out the name specifically and post it. These all have great recipes in them. There are a lot of trial and error things that I try too. My favorite substitute for a graham cracker crust is Puffed rice cereal, walnuts, and brown sugar ground up in the food processor. Add your melted butter and it so waaaayyyy better than palin old graham crackers...

penguinprincess Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%