I Need Some Help From All You Talented Decoraters...

Decorating By ashcake Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm by hallow3

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:22am
post #1 of 10

I have a birthday cake to do. This is for my 3 SIL's. There birthdays fall from June 9 to June 20. So I'm needing to do one cake for all three. I have NO idea what to do. They are all moms. They really don't care what I do. Most of them say try new things with it (I just starte decorating last Oct). But I just don't know what to do. It don't need to be a huge cake. I will probably be taking this with us for vacation, so it needs to be able to travel completed. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA!

9 replies
hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #2 of 10

I am no expert, but you could do a sheet cake with a motif of each of the SIL hobby's incorporated into a patchwork,or I would love to try the flowerpot cake that is on this site. Do you tried or like to do fondant?or just buttercream designs? What are some of you SIL's hobbies? Trying to help.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:39am
post #3 of 10

If you want something simple, you could make a sheet cake with three balloons in different colors (either piped on or fondant cutouts), and write each SIL's name on one of the balloons, then put Happy Birthday across the bottom. If you use fondant for the balloons, cut a few narrow strips and twist them, then use those as the strings for the balloons. You wouldn't have to do the usual colors (you're probably picturing red, yellow and blue right now) but three shades of purple or three shades of pink would look nice too.

ashcake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 10

I really don't want to do a sheet cake. I work better with fondant than BC. I was kindof thinking of doing a small teired cake. But I just don't know what to put on it. One sister is a preachers wife and likes to sing. One likes to shop, have her nails done, and doing her kids activities. The other likes to shop, have her nails done, and go deer hunting with her husband. The only thing they all have in common is going to church. One sister wants white cake, another wants chocolate. The other doesn't care. I just want it to be special. Since all there birthdays are together and since I have been in the family we haven't really done anything for them.

Thanks for all your advice!

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 10

I just woke up so please forgive me if I don't make sense, lol.

The thoughts that came to mind to me about the small tier cake is maybe incorporating each of their likes on the tiers? Like on one of the tiers you can do a shopping theme for the two girls(shopping bag, shoes purse maybe some makeup out or nail polish of fondant etc).

On the other tier music notes/music stuff and maybe something representing church if you wanted to tie that in for the one that likes to sing

As for flavors - do one tier chocolate and the other white cake?

Just some ideas for ya.. or you can just do the sheet cake route!

hallow3 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 10

Well here is my 2 cents worth.
3 tiers, White, Chocolate, maybe strawberry
top tier: Musical staffs and bars with Cleps ect. all around it
middle tier: Shopping bags,such as, guicci, walmart, belks, ect. bags from where they like to shop.
Bottom tier: gumpaste deer, rifle, orange vests and hats, & trees

Sounds like a fun cake and personal to each of the ladies.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 10

If you feel like it's getting too complicated, you could do just a generic cake in girly colors with cutouts, a bow on top, or something like that. Maybe some flowers on wires to stick in right before you serve it. That way, you aren't trying to cover everyone's interests. Just a thought.

rozben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozben Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 10

you could do sidework designs on each cake/tier that is for them with there flavour they wanted, hmmm, i would do a 3 tiered, nothing big unless your feeding a crowd icon_smile.gif you said they all go to church so do a 3D church on the top tier, out of pastillage, with a preacher standing beside it. and on the side of that cake do music notes, and words to her fav songs. the next tier you could do cut outs of clthing, makeup, food whatever she likes to buy, as well as her kids activities.. be it rollerskating or basketball or swimming, and the same on the bottom tier, shopping items,fake nails, nail polish, and some deers even.
just an idea. hth

ashcake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I'm starting to get some ideas of what I could do. I knew I could count on you all! Thanks!!!

hallow3 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 10

make sure you post pictures for us. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%