Pregnant Cake

Decorating By CIndymm4 Updated 8 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm by dadams

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #1 of 8

So I've been asked to do a small cake for a "baby shower" at work...it's not really a big party, 2nd child, another boy, so we're all just going to bring our lunch and a bag of diapers for Mom-to-be.....it's a surprise to her though. So, anyway, I was trying to come up with something really different, to celebrate her more than the baby because I think she derserves the attention......my question is, using the wonder mold cake pan, and something else, not sure what, maybe a cupcake, could I make that look like a pregnant woman? does that sound too crazy?

7 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:14am
post #2 of 8

There are many, many of these cakes on here. Search the galleries and see what you can find. In fact, I think I may have a link to a tutorial. Give me a sec to find it...

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:17am
post #3 of 8

OK - searched my watched topics and found the topic. It was posted by briansbaker, but the actual thread was lost in the March/April 2008 database crash. Maybe, if this person is still on CC, you could PM them and see if they still have the original tutorial and pics from this post.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #4 of 8

I just made a belly cake last week for a baby shower. It was my first one, and I thought it turned out ok. Search for "belly cakes" in the galleries and you are sure to find something.

I used an 11x14 cake with half the ball pan for the belly and 2 cuppies for the boobs. I made the dress and flowers from mmf. Heres the pic...

Good luck!!
LL

Nickilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickilyn Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #5 of 8

Try searching using the keywords belly cake There are some amazing ones on CC--couldn't wait to try my hand at it. I used cupcakes and Wilton's 3-D egg shaped pan. This was the easiest 3-D cake I have attempted so far--no carving needed--just split cake for filling and added straws for added support.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for all the ideas... I have seen all the "belly cakes", but I was wanting to do something a little different and have it upright, versus on a flat surface like the belly cakes mostly are here..... I was really curious if anyone had ever tried it with a wonder mold pan or thought it could be done somehow. Thank you again for all the thoughts.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 6:34am
post #7 of 8

I've done a couple of the belly cakes..........but I think your idea is great.
Don't know if the shower has passed yet, though.

Here's what I'd do.

1. make wonder mold
2. trim down the bell of the skirt, ie make it approach the "floor" in a more straight manner
3. Add a mini egg shape to the front belly area.
4. Stick the doll in up to right under the chest area, since the baby pooch is usually so high up
5. Cover in icing, then in fondant. Put a ribbon under the boobs to simulate a maternity top/dress
6. Have her carrying a small fondant book with the title baby names, or something else that would be appropriate for a mom to be.

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 8

were you maybe thinking of upright like this
it was done for a bachlorette party
but front could made to look more pregnant
Bodice Cake
By: cakegirls
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_16011.html

it is a carved cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%