Design Help For Sister-In Law

Decorating By vmertsock Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 12:35am by T-Bird

vmertsock Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I'm making my SIL a cake for our birthdays at the end of the month but I'm drawing a bit of a blank for the design. She's really interested in wine and cheese so I thought about doing the wine bottle cake but I'd like to do something a little girlier. My mom is getting her a gorgeous vintage red handbag and I thought about making her a handbag but it still doesn't feel quite right. I know she likes bath products and music a lot too but I'm not sure how to tie everything together nicely. She's never had a custom, designed for her cake before so I really want to make it special for her. It'll just be 4 of us for the weekend, they're driving up 4 hours, so I don't want to make anything huge. I'd love ideas or just brain storming help! Thanks so much!

2 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 3

You could do a cake that looked like a wedge of cheese...maybe not swiss like most of the cheese wedge cakes I've seen, but yellow with a red outer part...and then make grapes out of marzipan (that way they're a treat too), maybe a bunch of green grapes and a bunch of red grapes.

Or for a really girly cake, a tiny tiered cake would be cute. I'm making one for my sister this weekend, 6-4-2 covered in fondant, the bottom tier will be pale pink with hot pink and brown circles, the middle will be a cheetah print, and the top will be stripes of white, pale pink, hot pink and brown, with a ruffled top and a tiny beaded wire topper.

A tiffany box cake would work too.

T-Bird Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #3 of 3

Here is an awesome cake by Tray2... perhaps you could adapt it to your needs... Make the bag like the one she is receiving from you mother, the champagne turn into her favorite wine, and then instead of a shopping/shoe box, make it a bag on it's side that looks like one from a bath shop with either tissue paper or products coming out.

I don't know if the link will work...never tried before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%