Never Worked With Fondant, Help Please

Decorating By katwomen1up Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm by katwomen1up

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 5

My DI is graduating from College this weekend, I really want to make the stacked book cake. I have never worked with fondant, how thin or thick do I roll it? What else do I need to know? Please help I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

TIA,
Kat

4 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:03am
post #2 of 5

I use Satin Ice (Wilton tastes rotten). I've learned to roll it about 1/4" thick (thicker than you might think) to avoid tears and cracks. I also roll mine out on a mat lightly coated with shortening. That way, when I turn the fondant over onto the cake and peel back the mat, the fondant releases from the mat so easily, I also like the slight sheen the shortening gives the fondant. There's no cornstarch or powdered sugar residue on the fondant either. Finally, the shortening keeps it pliable and less apt to tear/crack.

katwomen1up Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your help Tracey!

I forgot to ask, do I frost it lightly with BC first or just a crumb coat.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:06am
post #4 of 5

the books were easy just time consuming. a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottm "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

katwomen1up Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Sugarshack!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%