Help!w/cake Idea..3 Tier Sq. Cake W/ Tequila Bottle On Top!

Decorating By ash1028 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm by Mizuki

ash1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ash1028 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 2

I am in charge of my sisters 21st bday cake!! which i am both excited and nervous about. Since she is wanting to do the tequila shot w/worm i figured that would make a great idea for a cake. Since i have only some experience with decorating cakes (have taken a few classes) i need some input and recommendations from people who do have experience or ideas! I want to do a square 3 tier cake with a tequila bottle cut out of cake on top of the top tier. I want the tequila bottle to be laying down as if it has been knocked over. I'll have a worm crawling out of the bottle and tequila running down the cake into a shot glass at the bottom tier. the shot glass will also have a worm coming out as well. Since everyone peels off fondant i wanted to frost the bottom and middle tier with buttercream and smooth it out and try to make it look as seamless as possible. The third tier and tequila bottle i want to cover in fondant. The tequila bottle will be easier to decorate and look better and the third tier so that way the bottle doesnt leave an indentation in the frosting on the third tier it is laying on. Will these techniques work?? How do i go about piecing the cake together without making a disaster!! Any ideas, tips, hints, recommendations would be great!! Should i just fondant the whole thing?? or will it work frosting the bottom and middle tier with buttercream? Please help!! Thanx

1 reply
Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 2

Sounds like a fun cake!! Just a couple questions....
How big are you making this cake, and how big is the bottle? I know you said 3 tier, but what sizes? If the top tier is a 6" or 8" and the bottle is life size then it will be hanging over the top quite a bit. If you make the bottle to fit onto the top tier then it would need to be considerably smaller than life size. In that case (well, personally in either case), I would just make the whole bottle out of fondant and skip the cake part. For continuity I would ice all three tiers in buttercream and make the decorations out of fondant. I may be wrong, but I think having two tiers BC and 1 fondant might look a little off...unless you have some mad buttercream skills! icon_biggrin.gif That way no one has to peel fondant off their cake, and you can get some funny pix of your sister "drinking" straight from the (fondant) bottle!
Good luck, sounds like a blast to make! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%