Help With Cake Idea! Tequila Bottleon Top Of Tier Cake!

Decorating By ash1028 Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 9:17pm by mellormom

ash1028 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 2

I am in charge of my sisters 21st bday cake. Since she is wanting to do the tequila shot w/worm i figured that would make a great idea for a cake. Since i have only some experience with decorating cakes (have taken a few classes) i need some input and recommendations from people who do have experience or ideas! I want to do a square 3 tier cake with a tequila bottle cut out of cake on top of the top tier. I want the tequila bottle to be laying down as if it has been knocked over. I'll have a worm crawling out of the bottle and tequila running down the cake into a shot glass at the bottom tier. the shot glass will also have a worm coming out as well. Since everyone peels off fondant i wanted to frost the bottom and middle tier with buttercream and smooth it out and try to make it look as seamless as possible. The third tier and tequila bottle i want to cover in fondant. The tequila bottle will be easier to decorate and look better and the third tier so that way the bottle doesnt leave an indentation in the frosting on the third tier it is laying on. Will these techniques work?? How do i go about piecing the cake together without making a disaster!! Any ideas, tips, hints, recommendations would be great!! Should i just fondant the whole thing?? or will it work frosting the bottom and middle tier with buttercream? Please help!! Thanx

1 reply
mellormom Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 2

MMF (marshmallow fondant) tastes good. The problem with it is it sometimes doesn't turn out do to the weather.
You could butter cream the bottom tiers no problem. Don't forget to add dowels between the layers. Take the cake board of the cake to go in the middle and lightly press it onto the top of the bottom tier. Then you stick four dowels in the corners where the marks are. When you are completley done staking take a pointed dowel and run it through the whole cake. (dowels sharpen like pencils)
For the tequila running down you could paint the icing the color you want. Just take lemon juice or vodka and mix it with your food coloring and it should paint.
The rest I'm noit sure but there will be someone who could help you. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%