How Do I Achieve A Silver Effect

Decorating By firstof9 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 2:54am by SweetArt

firstof9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firstof9 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,
I am wanting to make the sewing basket which is attached to this page. It is, of course, done by one of the CC memebers. I have most everything decided on, but I don't know how to achieve the silver look on the scissors or the thimbles. I would love to be able to do this if possible because I think it really makes the cake. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Hannah

Because I did not have the original picture I was unable to make it bigger so I hope everyone is able to see it.
LL

7 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 8

I can't tell from the photo, but I'd bet she used lustre dust - NuSilver color. It makes a nice shiny silver.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Hannah, there are two ways that you can do it. After you make the thimble and scissors, let it dry and then you can dry dust it with Lustre Dust OR once they are dry, mix some silver lustre dust with some confectioners glaze or clear alcohol and paint over the accents.

I personaly prefer confectioners glaze, because it gives a nice shine to it. But when you mix dust with glaze, do it in small quantities, because the glaze evaporate very quickly. And you need to have the glaze cleaner to cleen your brushes.

Here is the link for the silver lustre dust form country kitchen sweetart.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=534&SubCatId=1105

And here is the link for the glaze as well.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=617859

HTH. icon_smile.gif

firstof9 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much for your help. I assumed it was something you dusted on, but I wasn't sure what I was going for. Also, what is the difference between a lustre dust and a pearl dust? The reason I am asking is because the silver pearl dust I could get at my local JoAnn while the lustre dust I could not.

Hannah

firstof9 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #5 of 8

I have no idea what happened with my last post, but the middle portion of my post is not displayed. Anyway to finish what I was saying. I would like to know the difference between pearl and lustre dust becasue pearl dust I can get at my local store while lustre dust I can not.

Hannah

firstof9 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:27am
post #6 of 8

It did it again! Does anyone know why this would be happening?

firstof9 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:29am
post #7 of 8

It did it again! Does anyone know why this would be happening?

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:54am
post #8 of 8

I've had the same thing happen to me too where parts of a post go missing. I think it has something to do with the words that pop up in blue. Try retyping without those key words.

As for the silver in the picture, I did not use a luster dust. Luster's will not give a true metallic look. I used a highlighter dust mixed with confectioners glaze. Below is the dust.

http://globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=silver+highlighter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%