Storing A Cake With Strawberry Filling

Decorating By Michele01 Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 1:25pm by Michele01

Michele01 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 7

I have two cakes next weekend. One with a strawberry filling, and one with a lemon filling. They will be iced in buttercream. My question is, can I leave the iced cakes out, or do they have to be refrigerated? I feel like when I refrigerate my cakes, they get dry. Would the buttercream iced cake act as a seal? These fillings are purchased at the cake shop down the street from me. They aren't refrigerated when I purchase them. It just says to after opening. What do you all think? Thanks.

6 replies
tippyad Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 7

I usually don't refrigerate my strawberry filled cakes. I make my filling from scratch. Is there a phone # on the package? I can't image that the fridge would dry out your cake.

Hope you get more advice!

Michele01 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 7

There isn't a number on the package. I made my son a birthday cake that was 3 tiered and stored it in the fridge. Because it's big, I didn't have a container big enough to cover it. My cakes are never dry, but that cake was. I don't usually refrigerate them, and that was the first one I did. Maybe it was just a glitch. I don't want to try it out again though, especially not on a wedding cake. I think they should be ok, if yours are. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

clopin0 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:28am
post #4 of 7

tippyad,

Can I have the recipe for your strawberry filling that does not need to be refrigerated? I'm always nervous with fillings and whether or not to refrigerate them.

Thanks.

Michele01 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:11am
post #5 of 7

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

plbennett_8 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:15am
post #6 of 7

If it is the filling in the sleeves that you buy at a cake supply store, it does not have to be put in the frig. icon_smile.gif

Michele01 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 7

yes, it's the filling in the sleeves at the cake store. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%