There Has Got To Be A Secret?

Decorating By marie92001 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm by LeanneW

marie92001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie92001 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 20

Just starting out i know next to nothing about cakes but a fast learner.
I made my 2 first cakes this past weekend and the one i did with fondant was cute! The second one i made was a chocolate (scratch) cake with (scratch) butter cream frosting. Now i know there are a LOT of experts here! Can someone please tell me how to make a chocolate cake WITHOUT getting the cake in the white frosting? icon_mad.gificon_redface.gif hahahaha
Thank you!
Donna

19 replies
tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 20

I put a crumb coat on my cake...in other words I apply a small amount of icing over the entire cake (1/4 cup) and allow it to crust. Takes about 10-15 minutes depending on the humidity. Once it has crusted you can then apply your final layer of icing. Voila...no crumbs!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 20

Many people do a thin coating of icing first, known as a crumb coat, to kind of glue the crumbs down and then ice again with a thicker coat as the top coat.

Personally, I never crumb coat. I just use Wilton's big icer tip and then smooth it - works great, and I rarely ever have any crumbs at all.

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=22106

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 20

If you will do a light crumb coat 1st - let it set for 15 minutes it will keep the crumbs from going into your final coat of icing.

HTH

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 20

Hi Welcome! You need to do a crumb coat first, which is a thin layer of icing over the whole cake. Let it crust a little while, then do your main coat of icing. This way all of the crumbs stay in the crumb coat. Hope this helps!

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 20

Practice practice practice! When Iâm icing chocolate cake I always do a crumb coat first. Ice the cake with a very thin layer of icing then let it sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Then slather on a thicker layer of BC and you shouldnât have any trouble with crumbs.

Also make sure you are using the right consistency of icing. I always use thin icing because it glides on super easy and smooth. If youâre icing is too thick it will pull the cake apart and make for more crumbs.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 20

Edited for double post. Stupid computers! icon_redface.gificon_mad.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 20

Crumb coat. A very thin layer of icing that you then chill or let crust over before adding the final layer. This layer will trap the crumbs.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 20

I agree with awolf24 - the Wilton big icer tip is the way to go!!
Good luck!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 20

Well the experts have spoken!!! A thin crumb coat and hopefully none of those pesky crumbs will jump in!!!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 20

I agree with awolf24 - the Wilton big icer tip is the way to go!!
Good luck!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 20

I use the icer tip and never have a problem. I don't have time to do a crumb coat, let it sit and then ice again.

Just make sure you dust all the crumbs off the cake and around the base of the cake.

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 20

As a newbie myself, let me tell you do not get frusterated. I did 4or 5 cakes before I got one with out a crumb. All the suggestion are great. First make sure your icing is easy to spread. Two crumb coat, it wil not only catch crumbs but help to smooth out any other bumps. Then I place in the freezer for awhile 15 min to an hour. Third the icing spreader, after that I let the cake sit for a little while for a crust.

My last three cakes have not had one crumb.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #14 of 20

I'm gonna have to try the icer tip again, I never had much luck with it. I'll let you now how it goes!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:54am
post #15 of 20

Chocolate cake seems to be more 'crumby' than other flavors.
When I started, it took me a while to realize I went back and forth while icing. One direction only, or you pick up crumbs.

marie92001 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm
post #16 of 20

Thank you ALL VERY MUCH! I will get the tip and try both reccomendations!
I have another question for when you first started out:
I want to try and make more cakes but for what? I mean i have emailed all my friends and told them i will make them a cake (to get practice) and so far only one person needs a cake! icon_cry.gif
I dont think my dh and 3 boys can eat that much cake! icon_eek.gif
hahaha
Any suggestions?
TIA
Donna

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #17 of 20

You or your husband can take your practice cakes in to work. At least where I work - free food FLIES off the counter and everyone is very appreciative of homemade desserts.

You can also bring them to local police and fire departments - great way to say thank you and they love them there too. Donating to churches is also a good idea. Or you can contact local food banks or soup kitchens.

marie92001 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #18 of 20

Thank you awolf! That is a great idea but i work at home! hehe
I like the idea of donating!! TYVM!!!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #19 of 20

You can also prepare a list of your friends' and family's birthdays and special-occasion dates.

Then, as the date approaches, call them and offer to give a free cake!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #20 of 20

sometimes I take a cake to my local starbucks to give to the baristas, I go in everyday so they know who I am, otherwise this would be a but creepy.

my neighbors and friends are so sick of eating cake.

how about the office staff at your kids' schools?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%