Question About Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By froggyqueen Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm by SpudCake

 froggyqueen  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 9

Does it crust the same as regular buttercream? I wsn't sure b/c of the extra ingredients. Would it be better for me to add more cocoa or Wilton's brown to get the color I need? Thanks!

8 replies
 awolf24  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 9

I don't think cocoa gets it very dark. I use gel color or even better - Hershey's chocolate syrup to get it nice and dark brown. icon_smile.gif

 froggyqueen  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

I don't think cocoa gets it very dark. I use gel color or even better - Hershey's chocolate syrup to get it nice and dark brown. icon_smile.gif



Thanks but does it still crust the same?

 awolf24  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure...I think it would but what recipe are you using and what are you adding to make it chocolate? There may be different "crust" factors if you are using cocoa powder, melted chocolate/candy melts, chocolate syrup, etc.

 froggyqueen  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

I'm not sure...I think it would but what recipe are you using and what are you adding to make it chocolate? There may be different "crust" factors if you are using cocoa powder, melted chocolate/candy melts, chocolate syrup, etc.



LOL I 'm not sure which recipe I'm using yet. I am making a pirate ship cake and I need something that will hold up well for the 3 D design. I guess I'll play around with a few different kinds. I have 2 months anyway and it's for my own son. Thanks!

 froggyqueen  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

I'm not sure...I think it would but what recipe are you using and what are you adding to make it chocolate? There may be different "crust" factors if you are using cocoa powder, melted chocolate/candy melts, chocolate syrup, etc.



LOL I 'm not sure which recipe I'm using yet. I am making a pirate ship cake and I need something that will hold up well for the 3 D design. I guess I'll play around with a few different kinds. I have 2 months anyway and it's for my own son. Thanks!

 awolf24  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 9

If you already have a crusting BC recipe that you like, you should be safe adding cocoa powder and then using gel color to get the brown that you want. It should still crust for you.

What might affect the crusting more is adding the chocolate or syrup instead of the cocoa powder. HTH!

 froggyqueen  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

If you already have a crusting BC recipe that you like, you should be safe adding cocoa powder and then using gel color to get the brown that you want. It should still crust for you.

What might affect the crusting more is adding the chocolate or syrup instead of the cocoa powder. HTH!



That's what I was wondering! Thak you! I just love this site..... thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

 SpudCake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 9

You can use dark chocolate cocoa powder (Hershey) and the color will be pretty dark. The Autumn wedding cake in my pics is iced in that.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%