Character Pan Versus Image On Rice Paper

Decorating By Laura1976 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm by JoAnnB

Laura1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura1976 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 5

I have only been in "the biz" for about a year or so and have decided to decrease my use of character pans unless necessary. I live in a town where there isn't anywhere closer than a hours drive to rent the pans from, which obviously is a waste of time/money. I also had complaints about the amount of cake there is when the character pan is a smaller shape (example: Elmo), so I now use a 14x14" square pan and trace an image onto rice paper using the edible ink markers. I ice the cake and then put the image onto that and then fill it in, but is the rice paper supposed to "disolve"? Any input/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! I realized that I just posted this by mistake in cake disasters and can't move it to another forum: OOPS!

4 replies
lukiesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukiesmommy Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 5

I gotta tell ya....I started out doing characters. They do get expensive. This year I went to using cake toppers instead. They are a bit pricey too, but I have a separate charge for the topper. ie: 25$ for the cake 9x13 plus the cost of the topper. Then they have a toy after the cake is done. I get my toppers off Ebay. I am not very artistic so I dont think drawing them on is an option for me...

HTH

M

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 5

No, rice paper doesn't dissolve icon_smile.gif

lisa_mae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa_mae Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 5

i print an image off the computer or grt one from a coloring book, flip it then out line in a lightly tinted piping gel then fill in.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 5

Whether a character pan or an image, licensed character are illegal to sell. You can use toys or toppers to keep legal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%