Upside Down Method With Imbc?

Decorating By nekotish Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 1:47am by KoryAK

nekotish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nekotish Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 6

I am so tired of the rounded edges on my cakes, both fondant and buttercream. I just can't seem to get the nice sharp edges that some people do. It looks like the Upside Down method would give a much cleaner edge, but the instructions I have found are all for buttercream. Is it possible to do this with Italian Meringue Buttercream?

5 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 6

The person who started this is Jeff Arnett. You could google "Jeff Arnett upside down method." That should lead you to him. There is also a discussion about this in the Wilton Forum. I beleive many months ago I practiced this with Rose Birenbaum's Moussseline BC. This is not a shortening BC but IMBC or SMBC. The results were fine.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 6

Yep, I do my TT cakes this way with SMBC

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 6

Kory,

How difficult do you find this technique? I've thought about trying it a long time ago but I too hate the rounded edges. It just looked so hard to do.

Any tips?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Kory,

How difficult do you find this technique? I've thought about trying it a long time ago but I too hate the rounded edges. It just looked so hard to do.

Any tips?

This is how I ice all my cakes. At first it took time and I got frustrated but now I can ice a cake way faster this way. I use a silicone pastry mat instead of the parchment paper. I noticed the parchment paper was kinda wavy.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:47am
post #6 of 6

I don't have waving problems with the parchment (ice the parchment, pick up and place on top of cake, extra cardboard on top of all that, then flip) just some air pockets sometimes. It doesn't bother me much, cause I don't use it when the final coat isn't fondant so I can patch them. But it makes TT cakes sooo easy. I'm really surprised you are having rounded edge issues with a meringue-based buttercream tho... I know that American BC likes to pull in, but the spatula just sort of cuts into the SMBC, leaving a very crisp edge (check buttercream pix in my photos)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%