Why Can't I Just Do This??

Decorating By froggyqueen Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 3:48pm by playingwithsugar

froggyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 11

I'm still new to this but I'm not sure why you can't use buttercream icing to do a transfer the way you would a royal transfer? What's with all the doing it in reverse and flipping it? What would happen if I used buttercream and let it set a long time to make sure it dried or even put it in the freezer and peeled it off the paper and applied right side up?
Thanks!

10 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 11

You can - it's called a FBCT (frozen buttercream transfer) icon_smile.gif

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

What's with all the doing it in reverse and flipping it?

It just makes it smoother and more even this way but I guess you don't have to. icon_smile.gif

froggyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

You can - it's called a FBCT (frozen buttercream transfer) icon_smile.gif

The one I saw you had to make it upside down and freeze it and then flip it over to add it to the cake.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 11

Most times, a smooth finish can't be achieved with buttercream as it can with a flow-in technique using royal or color flow. It gets turned over to expose the smoother finish. If you can achieve a suface finish that is acceptable to you(even star fill-in would be nice if using a small enough tip), then, it can be used just as piped....without inverting it.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 11

you can do it the way you do a royal icing one, but it won't be smooth. that's the reason why you flip it, so you will get the smooth side on your cake.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 11

FBCT

Are easy and fun. Never tried not flipping the picture and just outlining and filling in but it seems like it may not work because buttercream does not flood. The whole point is to be able to push down after you've filled it in to make it smooth.

And it really depends on which way you want your picture to face. If you don't care which direction it's in (meaning the character facing the left or right), then you can leave it as is freeze and flip it onto the cake.

However, if you have words in your picture they will come out backwards.

Not sure I said this the way I wanted to, but HTH a little.

froggyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 11

OK thanks! I thought I was having information overload from this site and getting things mixed up! I swear I have to pull myself away when my DH comes home! My kids even like looking at all the cakes LOL!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 11

Oh, sorry- guess I misunderstood....... I print the picture is mirror image, tape to a cake board and pipe on wax paper. freeze and then flip. I have also done the same thing with candy melts but always did the flip thing. (The skater cake in my pictures - grey with red skull, was made using red melts on wax paper).

If I am understanding, you are talking about simply piping BC in the shape of whatever design you want. IF that's the case, you can pipe directly on the cake. I just find this method not as 'clean' as the flip method but whatever works for ya.

If you do it, can you post some pictures? have fun icon_smile.gif

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyqueen

OK thanks! I thought I was having information overload from this site and getting things mixed up! I swear I have to pull myself away when my DH comes home! My kids even like looking at all the cakes LOL!

Welcome to our world LOL, LOL!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 11

froggyqueen -

Welcome to CC!

And yes, if you joined at the beginning of April, and you are only on your 4th post, you are suffering from Information Overload. Too much reading in too little time, I'm afraid.

Step back, blink your eyes, take a breath, and have a cup of coffee or tea. And relax - as long as the system doesn't crash, all the information will still be here tomorrow, and the next day.

And I'm darn glad to see a newbie taking the time to read through the articles and archives before asking questions!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%