Stacking - I Was Told Wood Dowels Aren't Food Safe

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 2:35am by vdrsolo

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieb578

vdrsolo - forgive me for being naieve but that stacking system the Bakery Craft system, is this for cakes that are only seperated? Or is this a system you can use for cakes stacked directly in top of each other??

Thanks.

Both.

The legs are available in:
4" precut lengths
5" lengths + (2) 2" extenders
9" scored lengths

Trust me, that system is sturdy, I do fondant cakes with it all the time, and travel with 3 tiers stacked. The plastic plate that the legs lock into has a little nub in the middle of it to hold the cake board above (I use prepunched masonite with one cake board on top of it). For extra security, I also use cheap, thin (Walmart brand) shelf liner between the plate and the board, but I have used just icing and it was just fine as well.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:36pm
post #32 of 49

Wow, so you use the plastic board that the system comes with, then the masonite board and then a cake board? wow, sounds like you could almost stand on that construction!

vdrsolo Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:59pm
post #33 of 49
Quote:

Wow, so you use the plastic board that the system comes with, then the masonite board and then a cake board? wow, sounds like you could almost stand on that construction!

I used to just double or triple my cardboards but I like how strong masonite is (I use the 1/8" masonite). Along with one cardboard, it is exactly 1/4". Plus....I use that masonite as a template to cut my parchment paper for my pans, and the hole is already in the middle so I don't forget to punch the cardboard. But I have just used cardboards on cakes and it was just as fine as well.

I prefer to have my cardboards 1/4" less than my cake. For example, an 8" cake is on a 7 3/4" cardboard, so I use my 7 3/4" masonite as a template to reduce my cardboard. I like to be able to just ice the whole thing so I can use tiny borders.

I love that since you center the cake plate before you put the next tier on...your upper tier will always be centered.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #34 of 49

Oh yes !!! if we do not use them all of us will live 'til eternity and become immortal... icon_biggrin.gif YAHOO !!!

jessieb578 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #35 of 49

thanks for that great info. I've never heard of a pre punched masonite board! Where I live, there's one shop that has cake supplies and it's 50 minutes away!! I take advantage of almost any free shipping promtions I can find with cake supplies!

I'm definitely going to move to that system though. It seems to make sense to have that sense of not only security, but a cake that is always straight!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectioneista

Wooden dowls not food safe? Ok, then what about kabobs, chopsticks, popsicles, little wooden spoons that come with little ice cream cups, little decorative wooden umbrellas in your tropical drinks....?

There are wooden dowels that are food safe and that's what they are using in the above mentioned products. Any wood you get at a lumber store (Lowes, HomeDepot ect) have been chemically treated and are NOT safe to put in food.

seskenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seskenn Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:49pm
post #37 of 49

Talk about fate. Before today I had never heard of bubbler straws. This afternoon, I go to the store and find new Dixie-brand super-wide plastic straws. They are 0.375 inches in diameter. I just had to buy a package and will test them on my next cake!

jessieb578 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:30pm
post #38 of 49

seskenn - wow, where did you find these? I'll have to check out Walmart, they pretty much have everything!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #39 of 49

::wipes tear:: So many happy cakers singing in the SPS choir.

SPS from Bakerycrafts really is a fabulous system.

vdrsolo Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:57pm
post #40 of 49
Quote:

thanks for that great info. I've never heard of a pre punched masonite board! Where I live, there's one shop that has cake supplies and it's 50 minutes away!! I take advantage of almost any free shipping promtions I can find with cake supplies!

I'm definitely going to move to that system though. It seems to make sense to have that sense of not only security, but a cake that is always straight!

I didn't purchase it prepunched. My husband is very handy, and we just purchased the masonite by the 4' x 8' sheet and he custom cuts it for me and punches the middle out.

I ask for a deposit back on the boards, the bottom board, and the plates. If I know I probably won't be getting back anything, I just double/triple the cardboard, depending on the cake, it's still fine. I just like everything to be completely the exact height.

seskenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seskenn Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #41 of 49

JessieB,

I'm Air Force, so I found the straws on base in the commissary, but they tend to get the "new" stuff later than everyone else, so I'd imagine Wal-Mart would have them. I paid $1.69 for 35 straws. Look for a red bag with multi-colored straws. Happy Hunting!

jessieb578 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:39am
post #42 of 49

Ohh, I'll be hunting alright! But I'm still looking into the other system. It's got to be great knowing that nothing is going to fall!

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #43 of 49

SPS is available from BakeryCrafts, Oasis and Global Sugar Arts.

Lacicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lacicakes Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:29am
post #44 of 49

I've not even heard of someone getting a splinter. The dowels I use are pretty smooth I don't think I could get a splinter off there even if I tried really hard. Maybe they are talking about unsanded or treated ones from the lumber yard but I'm sure theyre not talking about the ones wilton sells because they sell those specifically for cakes.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacicakes

I've not even heard of someone getting a splinter. The dowels I use are pretty smooth I don't think I could get a splinter off there even if I tried really hard. Maybe they are talking about unsanded or treated ones from the lumber yard but I'm sure theyre not talking about the ones wilton sells because they sell those specifically for cakes.

This is exactly what most on here are saying.....they have to be food safe.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #46 of 49

The SPS system seems like a great option but I do not do that many stacked cakes so I have not invested in it. For the ones I do make, I like to use the Wilton plastic dowels - they are very sturdy and easy to cut with kitchen shears. (and I'm not generally a Wilton fan by any means)

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3e3127ea-475a-bac0-5f98f056b4a6dc92

leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #47 of 49

PLease make sure you're not confusing SPS with SFS. SFS = expensive. SPS is generally cheaper than Wilton.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #48 of 49

I'm really confused about the SPS system. I look at the pictures and think I have an idea of how it works... but then someone talks about how they use them, and it doesn't make sense.

Anybody got any pictures?

vdrsolo Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

I'm really confused about the SPS system. I look at the pictures and think I have an idea of how it works... but then someone talks about how they use them, and it doesn't make sense.

Anybody got any pictures?

PM leahs with your email address, she has a document with pictures she can email you.

When you get the product in hand, it totally makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%