Help With Turtle Cake/pyrex Bowl ??

Decorating By lh Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 7:57am by miss_sweetstory

lh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lh Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:55am
post #1 of 4

Hi,
I need to know if anyone has used their pyrex mixing bowls to bake? i need to make the turtle cake below and i'm thinking a pyrex bowl would be good to get the perfect roundness OR does anyone have tips on how to sculpt the round top part?????
LL

3 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:33am
post #2 of 4

I havn't used a bowl to bake but I've read instructions on lots of cakes that have, I'd defo go for the bowl, carving a nice round shape will just be hassle and mess! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:38am
post #3 of 4

I've baked in bowls lots of times. It works just fine. The bowls have a small flat area at the bottom, so to get a perfect round you'll still have to carve a little bit, or (what I would do) put a piece of fondant there, underneath the outer layer of fondant, to fill out the rounded part.

You might want to spray a flower nail with pam spray and put it in the bottom of the bowl, to work like a heating core. It's always hard to get the middle of the bowl done. Also, since it's glass, I would bake it at 325.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:57am
post #4 of 4

I too have used Pyrex bowls. I agree that the flower nail or a heating core will necessary to get a fully baked cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%