Groom's Cake Help!

Decorating By rahrah97 Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm by rahrah97

rahrah97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rahrah97 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #1 of 19

ok so my cousin is getting married, and his fiancee just wrote and asked if i would make his groom's cake. she wants it to be a miller lite can cake. they are inviting 150 people to the wedding..... what size would be appropriate for this size wedding? ive never done this before, lol!

18 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 19

You might just want to ask them since there will be a wedding cake also. They may not want a large cake.

rahrah97 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 19

i did ask her, she told me whatever i think is appropriate. the problem is, i dont *know* what size would be appropriate, lol

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 19

A quarter sheet size at least.....to get the effect and details of the can.......I would still count on the 150 maybe 125 for the wedding cake. The quarter sheet should feed 20 to 25 people....and even then, if the grooms cake is a different flavor, people may want a slice of each.....

It is better to have to much cake and not.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 19

if they're not being specific I would just figure out about how many servings you'd get from the design you plan to do (like if you're stacking 6" rounds up...)however many you think it'll take and how many servings they can get out of it. Then ask if that sounds like enough or if they want more!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 19

You didn't mention whether she wanted it standing up kind of like a sculpture of laying down sheet wise, so just a suggestion here, how about for a groom's cake four 6 x 2 rounds stacked with dowels then decorated?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 19

If you're doing an all 3-D cake you could make it 3-12" cakes which would feed 150.

rahrah97 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 19

she would like it to be a 3D one. i want to stack them high enough so it wont look too "squat" to be a beer can.

ladyonzlake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 19

I have my cake dummies right here and 3 cakes stacked would be 12" and it doesn't look out of wack. You could always do 4-10" cakes but that only gives you about 140 servings.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 19

I think you should get the little 4" round pans, stack about 4 of 'em and put them on another cake that looks like a cooler and make a 6-pack!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 19

I did a groom's cake recently that was just a gift for the groom from the bride...they did not eat it at the wedding...they saved it for when they got home from the honeymoon. It really did not serve very many people at all...it was two 1/2 ball pans that were on 6" rounds (it is the two baseball caps in my photos)

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 19

When I do a beer can I use 5-5inch round cakes stacked and then put that on top of a 10 inch round 2 layer cake (thats the cake they can cut and serve................the coors cake is a dummy which the dimisions are WAY off and the budwieser is cake with the proper dimensions.
LL

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm
post #13 of 19

Bud cake is to big to post......poooooo you can see it on my site under grooms cakes www.somethingsweetcakestudio.com

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 19

Nice cakes!!!!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 19

Johnniekake -
Your work is beautiful!

rahrah97-
I always thought the grooms cakes were for a fun touch for the groom. I never heard of them planning to serve all of the guests from it. I would ask and find out.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:04am
post #16 of 19

I read also that they are INVITING 150 people to the wedding. This will most likely be way off as to the actual number of people. Indydebi has a formula for this - I can't seem to locate it right now. You may want to ask her how big her wedding cake is going to be (how many servings) that way you can decide how many serving you want this to be - as most people won't want 2 slices of cake and you don't want it to mostly end up in the trash.

HTH

Judi

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #17 of 19

I've never done a grooms cake equal to the brides cake servings, and I'm southern...there's a grooms cake at every wedding! Usually they just want enough cake to make it look right (for sculpted cakes) For other cakes it's usually just a fraction of the bride's cake total.

ladyonzlake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #18 of 19

I've heard tht it's only served to the bridal table but I'm not sure about this.

rahrah97 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #19 of 19

thanks guys! yeah i knew it didnt need to be huge, i just wasnt sure what size would be appropriate! ill just make it big enough to look right, lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%