I'm Sorry, But I Take The Ugliest Grad Cake Title....

Decorating By MeMo07 Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 2:22am by SweetResults

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #1 of 6

Please pass the ugly grad cake award this way please!

I'm still new to this, and haven't taken any classes yet, but I really don't feel like it's a valid excuse anymore with as many different types of cakes I've tried in the last two months.

My cousin wanted a Zebra and Pink cake for Graduation...It wasn't TOO bad I guess, but the "fake fur" around the edges didn't turn out like I would have liked, and I still haven't gotten how to do a straight border it seems (I really need to get into a Wilton class :/) My borders on the circle cakes seem to vary way to much in around the circle, and my stars always end up different sizes.

It REALLY got ugly when she asked me to freehand words on to the already very busy cake......And she wanted a BIG 2008 across the middle of it....so I attempted to freehand it on there with, oh, 15 people watching me. LOL.

(I meant for the original cake to be the first picture, but oh well!)
LL
LL

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:07am
post #2 of 6

I think you deserve kudos! Especially for someone who is teaching themself. Good job!

The cake looks cool and that zebra pattern couldn't have been easy, wow! icon_eek.gif

I also think you recognize that the writing didn't quite work (and you wouldn't have done that on your own design), probably because the background was too busy....but you did what she asked for and that was kind of you to do.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 6

I'm with Antonia! You did a good job. It's a busy cake but that's what they asked for. Keep doing what you do.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #4 of 6

from one self-taught to another, i think you're doing great. your zebra stripes are great. next time, for fake fur, try the grass tip.. i think its # 233, it might give you the effect you were looking for. otherwise, i love the colors and think you did a great job. and kudos for adding the writing (while people watched, mind you) even though you didn't want to. just remember, the more you do, the better you get.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:02am
post #5 of 6

i love the zebra pattern! and ditto the the PP- their fault if it didn't look right. icon_lol.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #6 of 6

Looked cool before the writing - you gave them what they wanted so don't sweat it. Next time maybe a little plaque with the writing on it placed on the cake. Cool zebra stripes tho.

Practice the stars and they will get more uniform, remember to stop squeezing the bag before you pull up to reduce the peaks on the stars. Short quick bursts of pressure. But you will get it - nice start!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%